River Avon to Bristol

Richard Martin

Featured Posts

We are planning a trip down to Bristol from Bath next month.

We have never been on this section before and never been on a tidal river section.

Can anyone gives a few do's and don'ts, places to moor, pubs to visit etc.

Richard Martin

Don't Painc Richard, the Avon is not a problem from Bath to Bristol, although the current can be quite strong after a good rainfall. The tidal section through Bristol is bypassed by an atificial cut so that is no problem The River Avon only becomes properly tidal below Cumberland Basin (where you can Moor for a fee) on the western edge of the city

As for other Mooring, there are decent moorings in Bath (again for a fee) Turn right upstream when leaving the K&A Canal entrance and the moorings are on the right hand side. There are very few places where you can moor between Bath and Bristol so it is best to plan to do this jouirney in one day.

Edited by David Schweizer

We are planning a trip down to Bristol from Bath next month.

We have never been on this section before and never been on a tidal river section.

Can anyone gives a few do's and don'ts, places to moor, pubs to visit etc.

Richard Martin

David

Many thanks.

Shared a lock with boat who had done the trip today, said it ok as well.

Richard

In fact, in this summer weather, mooring on the river Avon anywhere from Bath to Hanham is pretty easy and safe, just tie up to trees or the bank. People do all the time. Do not do this in the winter! I repeat NOT IN THE WINTER or in severe wet weather. There are floating pontoons at Keynsham and below Swineford.

In fact, in this summer weather, mooring on the river Avon anywhere from Bath to Hanham is pretty easy and safe, just tie up to trees or the bank. People do all the time. Do not do this in the winter! I repeat NOT IN THE WINTER or in severe wet weather. There are floating pontoons at Keynsham and below Swineford.

Can you suggest where I can get a map from for the river section, Nicholsons does not cover this stretch and cannot find anything on the web

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

That's the bit I mean. Perhaps ours is a newer version? We got it last year. Ours shows the river Avon all the way from the Severn up to the canal in Bath.

Have now got the latest version and yes not only does it go to the Severn but at long last the pages turn the correct way, ie. they have routed from the west to the east.

Main reason for the post is to ask another favour, where are the short term (24/48hr) moorings in Bath, I know there are some in Bathampton the that side of Bath, are there any in the centre / Bristol side.

Many thanks

Richard

where are the short term (24/48hr) moorings in Bath,

There are moorings immediately above bath top lock, but they are popular and often full. if you go down the first 2 locks of the widcombe flight there is a large section of moorings for disabled boaters. According to the signs you should vacate the mooring "If a disabled boater needs it", so unless an entire regatta of disabled boaters arrive whilst you are there it's no problem.

I recommend Saltford lock, as the lock itself is in the garden of the Jolly Sailor, (beer beer beer beer beer beer) the lock waiting mooring at the upstream side is set on a steel jetty and it is possible to use the reverse side of this jetty for overnight mooring without obstructing the lock.

There are also moorings at Hanham, but be warned that a large trip boat moors there and the crew like to use the PA to play music loudly enough for them to hear it ashore at the pub.

There are moorings immediately above bath top lock, but they are popular and often full. if you go down the first 2 locks of the widcombe flight there is a large section of moorings for disabled boaters. According to the signs you should vacate the mooring "If a disabled boater needs it", so unless an entire regatta of disabled boaters arrive whilst you are there it's no problem.

I recommend Saltford lock, as the lock itself is in the garden of the Jolly Sailor, (beer beer beer beer beer beer) the lock waiting mooring at the upstream side is set on a steel jetty and it is possible to use the reverse side of this jetty for overnight mooring without obstructing the lock.

There are also moorings at Hanham, but be warned that a large trip boat moors there and the crew like to use the PA to play music loudly enough for them to hear it ashore at the pub.

Many thanks, I like the sound of Saltford Lock

Many thanks, I like the sound of Saltford Lock

We went down to Bristol for the weekend, for the harbourside festival, stopping at the Jolly Sailor on Friday evening. Sunday morning we were in Bristol cruising alongside the Matthew, passing lots of interesting sailing boats.

There was very little current on the river, and we were able to tie up on a quiet stretch for Sunday lunch with the dragonflies, a kingfisher, herons, ducks, swans etc. Very pleasant.

The river was fairly quiet, although there were a few rowers, kayaks, sailing boats, swimmers and radio controlled models. When we went by there were moorings available at most of the pubs, including Hanham, Keynsham, Saltford. I've heard there's a nice pub near Swineford lock too, but I've never found anywhere close by to moor - it all seems to be private land.

Overall its a lovely stretch of river, and Bristol Docks are well worth a visit.

We went down to Bristol for the weekend, for the harbourside festival, stopping at the Jolly Sailor on Friday evening. Sunday morning we were in Bristol cruising alongside the Matthew, passing lots of interesting sailing boats.

There was very little current on the river, and we were able to tie up on a quiet stretch for Sunday lunch with the dragonflies, a kingfisher, herons, ducks, swans etc. Very pleasant.

The river was fairly quiet, although there were a few rowers, kayaks, sailing boats, swimmers and radio controlled models. When we went by there were moorings available at most of the pubs, including Hanham, Keynsham, Saltford. I've heard there's a nice pub near Swineford lock too, but I've never found anywhere close by to moor - it all seems to be private land.

Overall its a lovely stretch of river, and Bristol Docks are well worth a visit.

Cheers

Usefull info.