Atherstone Top Lock Cottage up for sale...

carlt

Featured Posts

[quote name='Athy' timestamp='1346741057' post='933391']

.........Have Rothen's (the coal merchants) ceased trading or have they gone elsewhere? ..........

[/quote]

A notice pinned to the road entrance gate at the time the yard closed down said that the business had moved elsewhere but I can't remember where.

• 5 months later...

This has been an interesting and enlightening read. I have read the posts to the new owner..

Concerns raised as far as I can see is that:-

1. It will be used for development

2. Soul/character will be lost.

3. The previous family have been forced out.

Whilst I cannot comment or soften the impact on point three as I do not know Mr Wright's circumstances, I can however, comment that the new owner has asked me to advise all that he wishes to inject money into the cottage and bring it back up to a standard that befits such a historically prominent part of Britain's industrial heritage. He is an avid gardener and would certainly pay homage to past efforts at maintaining the area and would certainly keep the cottage in bloom. His London pubs have won awards for their outside floral displays!

He is also a fellow Canal boat owner, and appreciates the finer points of canal boating.

We do however, hope that the comments regarding the suicides and "yoofs" (although I believe they like to call themselves youts :-s) as well as vandalism alike was an attempt to frighten and not be infact reality. I guess time will tell.

The owner is looking forward to this new chapter in his life and that of the cottage's