Narrowboat Painting

Featured Posts

Is having your narrowboat sprayed with 2 pack paint worthwhile. Does the surface scratch less, chip less, rust less, colour fade less and does it have a better gloss that lasts longer.

Can anyone recommend a narrowboat painter who can spray 2 pack.

Two pack is beautiful and lovely to look at as long as you don't go out of the marina/mooring

It looks dreadful when its scratched when you get blown or forced into some overhanging trees or bushes !!

Dave

Is having your narrowboat sprayed with 2 pack paint worthwhile. Does the surface scratch less, chip less, rust less, colour fade less and does it have a better gloss that lasts longer.

Can anyone recommend a narrowboat painter who can spray 2 pack.

Welcome to the forum.

If you use your boat it will get chipped, rust, fade (especially if red) - it's unavoidable.

To avoid this - paint it and leave it on it's mooring...

When I moored on The Broads a chap I was well acquainted with had a cruise boat, The Southern Comfort, it was 61ft long and about 15ft beam, upper and lower deck, looked like a Mississippi paddle steamer complete with mock chimneys and paddle wheels.

He took it out of the water each year to do the anti foul and repaint. Each year he tried a different paint, one pack, two pack different, brands etc etc. And rightly or wrongly he reckoned that it made no oddds as to which paint he used the result was always the same, looking for the Holy Grail of paint was how he described it.

Admittedly carrying all the trippers that he did the boat did take some hammer. Incidently when my wife broke down on the river, gently drifting towards Great Yarmouth he was the only boat to stop to assist her (and it's like the M25 there in summer)

Phil

Is having your narrowboat sprayed with 2 pack paint worthwhile. Yes

Does the surface scratch less, yes

Chip less? yes you don't need such a thick coat therefore corners don't tend to get knocked off.

Rust less? it sticks better if used with an acid etch primer. If the paint sticks better then rust finds it more difficult to 'creep' under the paint..

Colour fade less? most definately - probally its most usefull property. If you worried about colour fade then it best to avoid red and yellows which are the most fade prone colour of any paint.

And does it have a better gloss that lasts longer. Its stay 'up' far longer then enamel paint although the gloss might be bit 'plasticky' for some although it can cut and poilsh to tone down the shine if required.

Can anyone recommend a narrowboat painter who can spray 2 pack. No idea :) most boat painters are not set up for spraying although it is possible to brush paint 2 pack the same as it is possible to spray enamel

When I worked offshore everything was painted with two pack. The steel was first blasted and on the same day sprayed with a zinc hi build primer and this was followed by a coat of two pack epoxi. A paint inspector was on site at all times who checked the steel after blasting and before spraying. The humidity, dew point, he also checked the spray thickness. The spraying was done with airless spray units and the coating quite thick but it had an orange peel finish. When it was all done it was hard as old boots, I have hammered things on it without chipping it.

One of the paints used was Sigma http://www.sigmacoatings.com/marine/ the other was International.

When I worked offshore everything was painted with two pack. The steel was first blasted and on the same day sprayed with a zinc hi build primer and this was followed by a coat of two pack epoxi. A paint inspector was on site at all times who checked the steel after blasting and before spraying. The humidity, dew point, he also checked the spray thickness. The spraying was done with airless spray units and the coating quite thick but it had an orange peel finish. When it was all done it was hard as old boots, I have hammered things on it without chipping it.

One of the paints used was Sigma http://www.sigmacoatings.com/marine/ the other was International.

Our boat was painted with two-pack when she was built.

We're certainly happy with the result.