Mooring on the Thames in winter?

blackrose

Featured Posts

Does anyone know anything about mooring on the upper Thames in winter? I was warned against this because of the possibility of flooding but I also met boaters who said they'd been around the same area for years. Someone told me that without vertical poles to keep your boat off the bank, in the event of a flood there was a risk of your boat being pushed onto the bank and then tipped over as the water receeds. I guess it's safer to stay on the canals in winter?

Edited by blackrose

I know nothing about this but I moored in Reading (not very upper!) one winter and was a little lucky. The guys I was speaking to though said you only need a couple of fence posts attacked to the side to srop anything untowrd happening so its not that bad...

Except the flooding can go on quite far at times so you might have some difficulty getting on and off and living a normal life if you are a live aboard. Also I have an old lister 2 and some days it was quite tricky to manouvre around although I expect with a bigger engine and/or a bit more experience this wouldn't be suck a serious consideration (although it would probably be worth stocking up so that you never have to manoevre in the swrst conditions).

Ben.