Wooden flooring and double glazing

Featured Posts

Hi

The tape I used was purchased from www.apetape.co.uk we used the flexible magnetic tape tesa adhesive 12.5mm x 1.5mm x 30m both type A and type B cost £21 ex vat. This was sufficient to do 11 windows of various sizes.

20130114_142932.jpg

This one shows the curved corner before the tape was attached I had to change the round headed screws that fixed the frame into place for counter sunk screws so the tape would lay flat.

20130114_143007.jpg

This is where I had to cut the hoppers to allow the perspex to lay flat against the frame, these can be painted in to match the frame.

20130114_143241.jpg

This was my first attempt I was not sure if the tape would bend around the curve, so I used cuts to get around the curve it looked a mess so I decided to try and bend the next one.

20130114_143406.jpg

Its worth the effort and looks neater this is without the perspex in place.

20130114_143502.jpg

It bends around the perspex perfect.

20130114_143844.jpg

This shows the perspex in place.

20130114_143852.jpg

This is why I needed to cut the hoppers for the perspex to sit flat.

I mitred the corners at the top, working from the top on my left I put the tape on the frame when I came into the curved section I left my thumb sitting hard on top of the tape and formed the tape with my right hand around the corners following with my left thumb pushing on top of the tape.I think the tape should fit/stick onto the wood a lot better on your boat. I would not be sure about the complete curve of your portholes it would just be a case of experimenting.

The tape cuts easy with a good pair of scissors.

Edited by lesrollins

We fitted the same secondary glazing as Roger after seeing that thread and it been very good. We take it down in the spring when you want maximum ventilation and put it back when it turns cold late autumn, a great solution at the price.

I did the same to double glaze our Houdini hatches, works great. we have all Portholes and these are permanently D/G with circles of tinted plastic.

Phil