What have we let ourselves in for ......

Oliver

Featured Posts

In a moment of madness (it seems now), we have agreed to take our very active 4 year old grandson away for the weekend on the boat, to give his Mum & Dad a break.

This will be his first time on the boat and the first time he has been away from M&D for any length of time. Am planning to take him up the Napton flight because we can break the weekend up into 4 sections of 3 hour cruises and still keep to his norma routine of meals and bedtimes. We've got a good bouyancy aid for him, some of his favourite DVDs in case he hates boating but I'm really worried now that we have bitten off more than we can chew. A 4 year old and two dogs - I may not be old and grey now but have a feeling I will be when I get back.

Any words of wisdom or advice for us?

What do you consider "very active"? Is it because he doesn't do what he is told because he is never told off? All 4 year olds are (or at least should) be active, but if he doesn't understand the word "no" then you will have problems. If however he behaves normally, then get him involved with the boat, let him steer, make sure he understands that if you shout "STOP" you REALLY mean it. Explain how things work, and keep an eye on him.

I've taken plenty of young children on the boat, and they have all enjoyed it enormously.

I fully agree with Dor!

I think what you have here is a wonderful opportunity to get to know your grandchild. You obviously have had children yourselves, this one is no different. If he doesn't understand "no", you also have a golden opportunity, children are much like dogs (which you probably also know about), it only takes about half an hour and a little effort. Would advice against giving him chocolate, though :cheers:

Edited by Oeystein

children are much like dogs ... it only takes about half an hour and a little effort. Would advise against giving him chocolate, though :cheers:

and maybe avoid the choke chain too :)

Oliver

Your fears may be unfounded, most children behave better when under the supervision of their grand-parents than their own parents.

Possibly because they know how far to 'push' their parents but grand-parents are an unknown quantity so you will have the upper hand, to start with.

The comparison with dogs is not far from the mark, animals and children need constant rules and to know their position in the family group.

I am sure you will enjoy having him onboard and you will have the chance to start his life-long enjoyment of boating.

If not you could always make him walk the plank :cheers:

Thanks folks.

Oeystein - I 'inherited' my girls when they were about 7 & 9 so I've no experience of children in the range 0 - 6, which is probably why I've become nervous about the weekend.

Bottle - I'm glad to see that it isn't only my girls who think that the children will behave better for grandparents.

My husband says everything will be fine and if the little one doesn't realise to start with that No means No and Stop It means Stop It, he soon will.

I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing and that everything will be fine. I'll update thread once we've been away.

Oeystein - I 'inherited' my girls when they were about 7 & 9 so I've no experience of children in the range 0 - 6, which is probably why I've become nervous about the weekend.

I think you will find that the difference in going on a holiday with girls of the age you mention and going on a holiday with a boy is like converting from an old Land Rover with unsynch gearbox to a Mercedes 500 SLC Automatic.....

Looking foreward to a trip report, have nice weekend :cheers:

Edited by Oeystein