Boater's first aid courses now booking

Featured Posts

Hi all - I've cleared this with DHutch - apologies if you feel you are being advertised at - but as a result of the dicussion thread a few months ago I have now confirmed two dates for Boater's first aid courses. The first is on Saturday 15th September at Stoke Bruerne Museum, and the second at Semington Dock on the K&A on 29th September. I am also planning one at Semington on 27th October depending on demand, and might have one on the Shroppie at Swanley - more details tba.

The courses will run from 09:00 to 16:00 (approx - depends on questions) and will cover incident procedures, vital signs, assessing a casualty, position for collapse (including confined spaces), CPR, breaks, burns, and boater specific topics such as Weills disease. It's an ambitious list to get in to one day (I usually do this in 1.5 days as part of an outdoor first aid course) but I wanted to make it as accessible as possible. Please note this is not an RYA course for helmsmen (though it will cover similar ground) it's designed to give everyone the skills to deal with major incidents before help arrives on the scene.

Related to this I have been in contact with ambulance services around the country, and some have replied. There is a bit of a gap between boaters knowing where they are (rural mooring near bridge whatever on the whosit canal) and the sort of info the ambulance service need to find you. I'm trying out a project to link bridge numbers with OS grid references, sat nav lat long coordinates and postcodes - have a look at the "Bridging the Gap" page on my website www.northern-lights-training.co.uk for details.

Please pass on the above info to as many people as possible, I can put on more courses if there is enough interest. Cheers, Jason Day

Edited by Jason Day - Sheffield

The cost is £50 for the day, all equipment provided but you need to bring your own lunch. You will also need waterproofs / old clothes as there will be a bit lying around on the ground being a casualty outside - whatever the weather!

If you would like to book on, please PM me here with an email address so I can send you the full details,

cheers, Jason

Hi all - I've cleared this with DHutch - apologies if you feel you are being advertised at - but as a result of the dicussion thread a few months ago I have now confirmed two dates for Boater's first aid courses. The first is on Saturday 15th September at Stoke Bruerne Museum, and the second at Semington Dock on the K&A on 27th October.

Sounds interesting, what accreditation does this course have and what level of qualification does it lead to?

Hi Chris

the course is based on the ITC outdoor first aid course syllabus, which is level 2. I have cut it down as the replies to a poll I carried out here suggested most people would not want a 2 day course. I've also set the price at £50 because this is aimed at people who want to be prepared in an amateur capacity rather than requiring a certificate for work.

I'm an accredited ITC first aid trainer and I run Emergency First aid at work, full FAAW, Paediatric, and outdoor instructor first aid courses, so the training is underscored by my ITC First Aid accreditation as a trainer. The certification is via ITC First Aid who are OFQUAL inspected and accredited as an awarding body by the HSE (though that applies to EFAW and FAAW only and is about to change).

If you want to use this as a means to further qualifications, then it's not for you. You might need the one day EFAW which has a fixed syllabus not geared towards boating, or possibly the the full two day outdoor instructors course, which is £120 or thereabouts. If you need a first aid qualification to support the RYA helmsman cert then the RYA say it has to be an RYA course. Although the content of my course is very similar and based on current best practice, this is NOT an RYA course, as the RYA stipulate that you have to be an existing RYA instructor to teach it....although I considered setting up as a helmsman instructor centre through the RYA I haven't done it yet! Unlike some first aid instructors, my background is in teaching, and more to the point teaching in the outdoors.

wow - that became a lot more long winded than intended...more details about the content are on my website (see previous post)

cheers, Jason

Chris put a seed of doubt in my head, so I just went to check the RYA courses site, and the Inland Helmsman course requires no prior experience, even first aid.

The course to become a Helmsman Instructor requires an in date first aid certificate with the following components

All candidates are required to hold a first aid certificate. Acceptable certificates include the RYA’s First Aid Certificate, or any other certificate issued on completion of a course which is a minimum of one day’s duration, recognised by the Health and Safety Executive and includes the treatment of hypothermia, cold shock and drowning.

The one day course recognised by the HSE is the EFAW syllabus, which takes 6 hours to do - the 'extras' can de covered in a couple of hours, making it an 8 hour day. I can do these courses, but the majority of responders to the initial poll weren't interested in the EFAW component.

So the courses I am running at present cover DO cover the requirements of the average boater, and holder of the helmsman certificate, but if you want to be a helmsman instructo I would need to do you an EFAW course with outdoor additional topics - conmtact me for details if that relates to you and I can come and run a course at your premises if you like.

Hope that clears any ambiguity. The main audience for the courses that I am running should be the average boater who needs to know what to do when things go wrong - if you need any details please have a look at my website, or contact me direct. Cheers, Jas

BTW the results of the pool that I carried out in January were that 22 people of 24 said they would be interested in a course, and of those overwhelmingly they were interested only in a one day course, with slightly more saying they didn't need the HSE one day certificate (EFAW) than did.

The Course at Stoke Bruerne is now half full, but only a couple of people on the Semington one on the K&A - Anyone else interested for that one, or does anyone have a venue they can suggest elsewhere on the network?

Jason

(edited for appalling typing errors!)

...The courses will run from 09:00 to 16:00 (approx - depends on questions) and will cover incident procedures, vital signs, assessing a casualty, position for collapse (including confined spaces), CPR, breaks, burns, and boater specific topics such as Weills disease. It's an ambitious list to get in to one day...

Jason, very good luck with the course. May I make a suggestion and a request that the course topics include carbon monoxide - recognising early symptons and what to do if exposure is suspected.

One of the new pieces of information we have learnt from a recent meeting of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Gas Safety is that in some cases victims of poisoning have only shown more severe symptoms some hours or days after exposure.

As such it is crucial that anyone suspecting exposure to CO, should see a dotor or clinician as sson as possible and explain why they believe there may be a threat to their health from the highly toxic carbon monoxide.

see also our new leaflet for more details - co%20safety%20on%20boats%2090x90.gifCLICK

Hi Chris

the course is based on the ITC outdoor first aid course syllabus, which is level 2. I have cut it down as the replies to a poll I carried out here suggested most people would not want a 2 day course. I've also set the price at £50 because this is aimed at people who want to be prepared in an amateur capacity rather than requiring a certificate for work.

I'm an accredited ITC first aid trainer and I run Emergency First aid at work, full FAAW, Paediatric, and outdoor instructor first aid courses, so the training is underscored by my ITC First Aid accreditation as a trainer. The certification is via ITC First Aid who are OFQUAL inspected and accredited as an awarding body by the HSE (though that applies to EFAW and FAAW only and is about to change).

If you want to use this as a means to further qualifications, then it's not for you. You might need the one day EFAW which has a fixed syllabus not geared towards boating, or possibly the the full two day outdoor instructors course, which is £120 or thereabouts. If you need a first aid qualification to support the RYA helmsman cert then the RYA say it has to be an RYA course. Although the content of my course is very similar and based on current best practice, this is NOT an RYA course, as the RYA stipulate that you have to be an existing RYA instructor to teach it....although I considered setting up as a helmsman instructor centre through the RYA I haven't done it yet! Unlike some first aid instructors, my background is in teaching, and more to the point teaching in the outdoors.

wow - that became a lot more long winded than intended...more details about the content are on my website (see previous post)

cheers, Jason

hI Jason

I meant to say 'thank you for the comprehensive reply' but then my internet connection wouldn't so i forgot. So 'thanks for a comprehensive reply'. Good luck with the course.

Hi Chris - no prob - I'm very keen to get these up and running and there will be lots of people thinking the questions and not asking them.

Rob - yes CO poisoning is definitely a part of the course - I've specifically tailored the contents to be relevant to real life incidents on boats, and thanks for the leaflet,

cheers, Jas

Hi Chris - no prob - I'm very keen to get these up and running and there will be lots of people thinking the questions and not asking them.

Rob - yes CO poisoning is definitely a part of the course - I've specifically tailored the contents to be relevant to real life incidents on boats, and thanks for the leaflet,

cheers, Jas

Hi Jason

I have recently had to do a 3 day first aid course for my qualification. It bored me shitless but just wondered what if anything did I learn more of on a 3 day course than a 1 or 2 day course. We have to do at least the three day course to keep our licence and just wondered what the main differences are ?

Cheers

Tim

Hi Jason

I have recently had to do a 3 day first aid course for my qualification. It bored me shitless but just wondered what if anything did I learn more of on a 3 day course than a 1 or 2 day course. We have to do at least the three day course to keep our licence and just wondered what the main differences are ?

Cheers

Tim

The pupils? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Which qualification was the course supporting Tim?

The main reason people tell me they get bored on courses is because some instructors know their stuff but can't teach (and some teachers don't know their stuff).

What I do on my courses is get people actively involved at the upper limit of their competence. Rather than tell people "that they have to keep the roll of a roller bandage taught at the correct amount of stretch to not cause blood restriction while ......." (simulates audience falling asleep).

I get them to decide what they have to do....

because they are presented with a simulated bleeding casualty....

...in the rain....

...and then their partner faints at the sight of blood.

It tends to keep people interested. If it all goes wrong the first time around there will be other chances to learn within the course!

I could go on for hours about the different courses but:

one day EFAW is for low hazardous workplaces where an ambulance can be called and attend quickly (minimum 6 hours).

Three day FAAW is for more hazardous workplaces where an ambulance can be called and attend quickly (minimum 18 hours).

Two day outdoor instructors course is for remote locations and dangerous activities where arrival of help may be delayed (minimum 16 hours)

Then there are refreshers for the above, and more extended courses. The outdoor course actually covers more topics than the FAAW, but generally the motivation and ability of the students is higher than for FAAW.

...See - it's so easy to get talking - I'd far rather go outside and get someone to pretend they have a swollen and deformed wrist after letting a windlass windmill on a descending paddle.....:-)

cheers, Jas

Hi Boots - I have phoned Swanley to ask if they are interested in hosting a course..frankly I want a course local to me as well! I haven;t heard back yet, but I will email them again this evening and let you know the outcome. If they don;t want to hold it I might try Tattenhall (I can take my boat to the course to use for onboard scenarios - excellent!

I'll let you know, Cheers, Jas

Boots - Aqueduct marina have said they may be able to host a course - they have a new meeting room which would do. I will confimr details and get back to you.

I'm going to be only intermittently on enail over the next couple of weeks as I weave erratically from festival to Cornwall to relatives to another festival on a two week road trip....so if anyone is interested in the first aid courses please give me a call and leave a message - I'll get back to you eventually!

cheers, Jason

Which qualification was the course supporting Tim?

cheers, Jas

Hi mate

It was for Boatmaster tier 1. He wasnt a boring instructer he was quite good its just the subject bores me to death. We is all different and like different jobs, I suppose there are people out there who wouldnt like to be PAID to go boating like me :lol: .

I have done many first aid courses over the last nearly forty years and wether 1, 2 or 3 days the context seems the same :wacko:

Tim

• 3 weeks later...