Webasto Heater

Leonora Davy

Featured Posts

We are seriously considering fitting a Webasto heater for extended cruising. In the light of so much negative publicity about Eberspacher heaters on the forum recently, we are wondering if people are also experiencing similar problems with Webasto heaters.

Before we part with hard-earned cash, could any Webasto owners with problems please let us know either by a post or personal messenger, as they prefer.

Thanks.

We are seriously considering fitting a Webasto heater for extended cruising. In the light of so much negative publicity about Eberspacher heaters on the forum recently, we are wondering if people are also experiencing similar problems with Webasto heaters.

Before we part with hard-earned cash, could any Webasto owners with problems please let us know either by a post or personal messenger, as they prefer.

Thanks.

I don't have one but have heard (from Gary at Legard Bridge) that they suffer from the same problems as erbaspachers. The big difference is that Webastos can be self-serviced (assuming some degree of handyness), whereas erbaspachers cant, thus avoiding an expensive call out cost.

My Webasto is running OK so far. There is a lot of acoustic vibration in the inlet pipe on start up, which can be muted somewhat by tuning the inlet's shape and orientation, but even so I'd not put it close to a bedroom like mine is. It's an efficient alarm clock. I believe that Webastos should be more tolerant of 'red' because they're used a lot by the military, who don't always have the luxury of DERV. I was told that the trick is not to fit one that's too big. I've got a 4KW feeding three radiators and the calorifier. Only real moan is that the Webasto programmer unit has three switch on time settings but no switch off. You have to do that manually. It also stops/purges/re-starts automatically every 75 minutes which is a bit disconcerting until you get used to it.

Hi Dennis

How long have you had your Webasto?

If it is a unit of the type used by the military I would expect to have multi fuel capability.

Do you mean to say that it will turn itself on and stay on if on the automatic timer?

I have heard a lot of problems about Eberspachers too, however it SEEMS as if a lot of these are fuel related, although that is not necessarily true, it could be the company covering themselves. Has anyone run one on parafin?

I have just fitted a Webasto as there was so much negativity about other brands,but I also have been told that its the filtration that is causing problems with other brands.I also suspect there are fors and against for which ever company you go for,I hope to be getting lots of good use,trouble free, from my Webasto,

Edited by iteldoo4me

My Webasto is running OK so far. There is a lot of acoustic vibration in the inlet pipe on start up, which can be muted somewhat by tuning the inlet's shape and orientation, but even so I'd not put it close to a bedroom like mine is. It's an efficient alarm clock. I believe that Webastos should be more tolerant of 'red' because they're used a lot by the military, who don't always have the luxury of DERV. I was told that the trick is not to fit one that's too big. I've got a 4KW feeding three radiators and the calorifier. Only real moan is that the Webasto programmer unit has three switch on time settings but no switch off. You have to do that manually. It also stops/purges/re-starts automatically every 75 minutes which is a bit disconcerting until you get used to it.

I fitted a 4kW Webasto last year and it has heated my three rads and calorifier over winter without problems. The only complaints I have are similar to those of Denis. The fuel pump is noisy early in the morning. Also, the three-event timer that only switches the heater on isn't much use if you're not on the boat to switch it off! Webasto can supply a better 7-day timer for another 70 quid. This should really come as standard but you can obtain a Danfoss type timer from a plumber's merchants for about £30. A gadget available from Webasto (about £300!) can switch the unit on and off by mobile phone and enables you to heat the boat before you arrive or if frost is forecast. I think this device could be made with an old mobile phone and a few electronic components from Maplins. My Webasto replaced a previous Mikuni heater and, as well as being more reliable (time will tell), it use far less diesel and battery current.

Noah

Just to close the loop - mine's been up and running since the beginning of March, used daily as I live on board. The Thermo Top C I've got may not be derived from anything used by the military, but the general philosophy behind their combustion system design is similar I guess - only an anecdotal observation really - if NATO Land Rovers used them, I assumed they'd run on pretty much anything. Saying that, my unit has its own fuel filter in the feed. When I originally discussed heating with Peter Nicholls, his reply to the Eber question was "Ooh, you don't want one of them" end of discussion, it's a Webasto for you my boy, new topic....

hope i'm not too late to add to this..... we have had an Airtop 2000 in our 35 ft narrowboat for about 18 months, been through 2 winters without problems so far.no noise or vibration,in fact the only noise we notice is the fan that blows the warm air around the pipes in the boat.it was fitted with minimum disruption and the main reason we chose this system was the limited space on board.it fits easily in the engine ole and is easy to get to,although we havent had to yet!