Braunston help

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

I want to thank, in a quietly public way, Jonathan Hewitt of United Canal Carriers for all his assistance recently. Our boat, Bullfinch, with its Sabb engine had developed a fuel starvation problem. At short notice Jonathan stepped in and diagnosed a valve in the lift pump was unseated. Soon sorted but Jonathan suggested that possibly our old fuel tank may be contaminated with almost 30 years of filth and because of our bouncing around on rivers and it might be wise to have it cleaned. Also he spotted that the fuel path from tank to filter to lift pump was not an ideal arrangement. He offered to sort it all and rerouted the fuel to lift pump then to the filter.

We had to leave for Ireland so we left the keys with him.

On our return all was sorted. Tank cleaned, an inspection bolt fitted, pipes rerouted. Not only that Jonathan had checked valves and cured a rocker cover oil leak.

Today our tired old engine developed yet another small weeping leak from a joint previously undistrurbed. Again, Jonathan left a job to sort us out. We had to persuade him to take any payment for this extra work.Finally, today, we left Braunston and headed south.

Well done Mr. Hewitt! Many thanks for excellent service, all done with great humour too.

Peter

• Greenie 1

He's the best mechanics that I know; he's the only person apart from myself that I'd ever allow near my engine, . He's often come out at short notice at odd times to fix problems in out-of-the-way places, and I also keep finding it difficult to persuade him to accept the money that he's earned. A top-class engineer in every way, and I love his sense of humour!

• Greenie 1

I want to thank, in a quietly public way, Jonathan Hewitt of United Canal Carriers for all his assistance recently.

Peter

"United Canal Carriers" should read Union Canal Carriers, or at least it was the last time I was in Braunston :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

Another vote for Jonathon Hewitt, he did a brilliant job re-building the engine in our boat. I would (and often do) recommend him to anyone requiring help with their engine, particularly if it is a Sabb which are one of his specialities.