Mooring in Nottingham

Speedwell

Featured Posts

We moored on the towpath outside the marina a couple of times this year, to the east of the Marina entrance and handy for Sainsbury's, with no problems and no worries. There are plenty of rings, and there's loads of room to moor.

I think the rumours relate mainly to further down, below the lock. There used to be visitors moorings there, our old Nicholson recommends them, but they're not recommended any more. There were a lot of less savoury characters around there, and the towpath was covered in broken glass, bottles, etc. Also the canal museum that's there is closed now, and there are two pubs which can apparently get quite noisy.

Incidentally there's usually quite a strong current flowing along that stretch of canal. Remember to allow plenty of time for stopping as you come in to moor - we saw several people achieve their stopping by running into one of the moored boats, followed usually by a sample of nautical language from the people on that boat!

ive been in castle marina for going on 10 years its generally safe above the lock since the pubs opened below the lock you get grief from the drunks lobbing glasses and bottles now and then one instance someone was thrown in the cut by some yobs down there one boats been set on fire thats the most serios thing thats happened in the last decade and the ocasional untie the rope joke if there was a mooring s scale i would give it 9/10

Regards Denis

I live in nottingham,and my boat is moored at Shardlow on the trent and mersey,and overall I think you are going to be relieved to know that overall there is very litle problem with vandals,and yes I would say its exaggerated,occasionally there are bound to be a few high energy kids who want to have a laugh at boaters expense,but I consider that normally if we boaters are not offensive to these youngsters,then they respond with interest and not intimidation.Enjoy your trip to our city.

Apart from the suggested moorings on the canal near the marina which are all OK there is no reason not to moor on the South side of the Trent above Trent Bridge. That is opposite the Victoria embankment. This area is not in yob territory and is a very pleasant spot and there are mooring rings. Best not to moor on the North side of the river.