History of Wardle Lock Cottage

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm now well into the process of renovating Wardle Lock Cottage and am beginning to think (seriously) about putting it back together again to be our family home. I have uncovered a chequered history of the house solely from the structure of the building and have read a lot about Maureen Shaw on here and elsewhere on the web.

I am now interested in trying to gather some information about the history of the building in its wider context. I've seen some of the photos that Middlewich Town Council hold in their archives and will be having further conversations with their heritage officer.

Does anyone know much about the history of the building itself and of its previous occupants? (Maureen is already fairly well documented) When were any of the 'add-ons' to the building done?

Do any of you have any old photos you'd be happy to share with me please? I'm particulalrly interested in ones looking at it from the top side of the lock.

Thanks

Dave

Hi all,

I'm now well into the process of renovating Wardle Lock Cottage and am beginning to think (seriously) about putting it back together again to be our family home. I have uncovered a chequered history of the house solely from the structure of the building and have read a lot about Maureen Shaw on here and elsewhere on the web.

I am now interested in trying to gather some information about the history of the building in its wider context. I've seen some of the photos that Middlewich Town Council hold in their archives and will be having further conversations with their heritage officer.

Does anyone know much about the history of the building itself and of its previous occupants? (Maureen is already fairly well documented) When were any of the 'add-ons' to the building done?

Do any of you have any old photos you'd be happy to share with me please? I'm particulalrly interested in ones looking at it from the top side of the lock.

Thanks

Dave

Sorry, can't help, but I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck with such a worthwhile project.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave, hope i can call you that- oops thats another topic. First time poster on here although a regular reader of the site. Anyhow getting to the point i'm also interested in your cottage, it appears my family hails from that area and i wonder if there could be a connection to your property. Jackson Family history places one ancestor at summit lock on Rochdale on 1891 census his parent/sibling, cant remember which, at Slattocks lock (similar time) the census entries have birth place of watnell and wardle ches for john Jackson. Would this be local to you or am i just assuming a lockie lineage? incidently seems Jacksons were very active on Rochdale as carriers, head office in manchester any body know about them?

the census entries have birth place of watnell and wardle ches for john Jackson.

Wardle Cheshire is actually quite a way from Wardle Lock, being at the other end of the Middlewich Branch on the Chester side of Barbridge.

I suspect Wardle lock (And the Wardle Canal) were so named as that is where you turned off the T&M to go to Wardle.

Edited by dor