Reliable Hydronic Eberspachers - where are they?

Roger Gunkel

Featured Posts

Following on and in parallel with my long running saga, are there any liveaboards out there who have Eberspacher Hydronic 10s & 5s for their main heating and water, who use them for long periods, run on red diesel and have no problems at all?

If so, how many hours a day in the winter and how many hours between services? How long have you had the system?

There also seem to be a considerable number of existing and potential users who would like to know similar information about Webastos.

Lets find out once and for all!

Roger Gunkel

Following on and in parallel with my long running saga, are there any liveaboards out there who have Eberspacher Hydronic 10s & 5s for their main heating and water, who use them for long periods, run on red diesel and have no problems at all?

If so, how many hours a day in the winter and how many hours between services? How long have you had the system?

There also seem to be a considerable number of existing and potential users who would like to know similar information about Webastos.

Roger Gunkel

We have a webasto that heats our hot water and at the moment it comes on for half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening. This seems to work fine and provides plenty of hot water all day long. I've only been living on this boat for a few months and am still experimenting. No idea how long I'll have to leave it running in the winter to heat the radiators though.

Roger Gunkel

From what I've heard erbaspachers and webastos are as reliable/unreliable as each other. The difference is that webastos can be self-serviced whereas erbaspachers can't. There's another long thread on this subject somewhere (in equipment?). My erbaspacher has been going fine without any service for a year but I only use it while my solid fuel stove is getting going and for hot water. The other thing I do is use an additive to my deisel (Fuel Set).

Edited by blackrose

My erbaspacher has been going fine without any service for a year but I only use it while my solid fuel stove is getting going and for hot water. The other thing I do is use an additive to my deisel (Fuel Set).

Been using fuel set for about 6 months prior to failure of unit, so can't comment on whether it does any good or not. Do you have any rads or towel rail on in the summer while you are heating your water?

Roger

Been using fuel set for about 6 months prior to failure of unit, so can't comment on whether it does any good or not. Do you have any rads or towel rail on in the summer while you are heating your water?

Roger

Yes I do. I think you're supposed to leave at least 1 rad on when running the unit (DW10).

I don't know much about fuel set but I haven't had a problem running the erb on red yet. (Have I just created a new abbreviation? I always thought it was a bit of a mouthful.)

It's supposed to be good for engines too killing bacteria in the diesel tank and fuel system. I've never heard any negative feedback on it, but then again if it was just some inert expensive green liquid why would one?

Edited by blackrose