Coventry Canal overnight moorings

k&j

Featured Posts

As almost-novice narrow-boaters, we would welcome advice on pleasant and secure overnight moorings on the Coventry Canal, between Swan Lane Wharf and Marston Junction.

We are picking-up a rental boat from Swan Lane Wharf mid- to late afternoon on a day in September, heading for the Ashby Canal, and are not sure how far we will get in that first hour or two before it gets dark. Where should we aim for?

K&J

As almost-novice narrow-boaters, we would welcome advice on pleasant and secure overnight moorings on the Coventry Canal, between Swan Lane Wharf and Marston Junction.

We are picking-up a rental boat from Swan Lane Wharf mid- to late afternoon on a day in September, heading for the Ashby Canal, and are not sure how far we will get in that first hour or two before it gets dark. Where should we aim for?

K&J

Personally I'd aim to get at least as far as Hawkesbury Junction.

Just beyond the junction there are some official short-term moorings on the right though they may be full if you are arriving late. But they are handy for the excellent Greyhound pub. At the end of them there are a few longer-term moorers, but you can stop just beyond them and walk back to the pub (still only 10 minutes walk).

If you're not interested in going to the pub I think you'd OK to moor anywhere along the next stretch, up to a little way short of the right-hand turn at the old Newdigate Colliery arm. It's quite pleasant countryside opposite the golf course.

After that you're in a cutting all along to the Navigation pub. I don't like mooring in cuttings they seem so gloomy! But the pub at the end has good moorings of its own (unless you want to get a TV signal; although of course that may have improved in the last couple of years).

Past the pub, the towpath towards Charity Dock looks OK but I've never stopped along there, maybe others can help.

Don't forget to slow for a good look at Charity Dock - the most amazing mixture of boatyard and scrapyard; boats in all states of repair in (and under) the water and in the dry dock, and on land a pile of mixed boats and cars with (at last count) a Reliant Robin balanced on the top!

Not so sure about the stretch from there to Marston junction; it may be fine but it doesn't 'feel' right somehow. Then you're at the junction, a very sharp right turn, and the Ashby canal is peaceful all the way.

Allan

(edited to include photo of Charity Dock)

Edited by Keeping Up

K&J

Hawkesbury Junction is your first safe mooring out of Swan Lane Basin. It will take you about an hour. There are plenty of boats moored at Hawkesbury and at that time of the year there will more than enough room there. If you moor near the junction the "Greyhound" pub is handy. It is where the boatmen used to gather when "waiting for orders". A bit further on about another half an hour is "The Navigation", which has moorings for patrons on the offside. Both pubs serve meals although I think the greyhound has a slightly better reputation for food. Past there, through the bridge, you occasionally see boats moored up to and beyond, (but not too far) Charity Dock, which used to be the arm for the Charity Coal Mine. Don't moor near Marston Junction as the local youth sometimes congregate there and can become a bit of a pain in the neck. Almost anywhere along the Ashby is fine. It is very rural and isn't populated with teenagers. A nice quiet mooring is "Hospital Bend" which you will not find in any guide book. Look out for a sharp left hand bend (wide enough to wind) with about six or seven boats moored on the offside. This is a favourite overnight mooring for us.

Before you get there, you go through a wooded cutting with steep gardens on the right, some of them are designed to amuse. (You'll see what I mean when you get there!)

Enjoy your trip.

Tony. ;)

Thank you, Allan and Tony, for your very helpful replies re Coventry Canal overnight moorings. It's reassuring to have somewhere to aim for rather than hoping to find a suitable place.

We also have plans to cruise the Caldon/Leek Canals and the Mons & Brec. If anybody has any tips about pleasant and secure overnight moorings (or places to avoid) on those canals, we would welcome them.

K&J