Private boat purchase agreement

Gav

Featured Posts

Hi.

While I'm looking at boats, when it comes to buying one are there any agreements already existing that are fair to both parties?

If anyone can post the wording here or a link to a web source I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Gav

Edited by Gav

Hi.

While I'm looking at boats, when it comes to buying one are there any agreements already existing that are fair to both parties?

If anyone can post the wording here or a link to a web source I'd appreciate it.

I have always done it as a gentleman's agreement as I am doing on a purchase now

However I use this

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/uksr-msf4705.pdf

as a bill of sale and insist on getting a previous bill of sale to prove ownership. On my last sale I passed at least 5 previous BOS across to the new owner

I have always done it as a gentleman's agreement as I am doing on a purchase now

I did essentially the same thing when purchasing Are We There Yet from DeanS. The process was aided by taking a loan with RSL, who produced a proper Bill of Sale for him to sign. This made sure that all the legal formalities were properly observed, title being established, and so on.

Of course, the thing about a gentleman's agreement is that you have to be sure that the seller is a gentleman (or a gentlelady? Gentleperson?). Not everyone is as nice and reasonable as DeanS.

(Speaking of whom, where is DeanS just lately?)