Leicester

pearley

Featured Posts

Forget the Space Museum. Its not good. Unless you are 8 years old or less.

Go to the pumping station instead on a steaming day.

Of course !! Not been there for a few years tho (Well since the kids attained an age that they were only interested in Video Games)

Do they have all the engines restored now ? I remember the first one running in the early 70's & the others looking forlorn & rusty.

And of course , the Electric Mini - Is that still there ???????

I hope my crew doesn't read this thread.

I had enough of a job selling this years tour.

Friends ask her what are the holiday plans this year. "Apparently we are going to Leicester, Burton on Trent and Coventry", comes the reply (with a raised eyebrow in my direction). "He takes me to all of the salubrious places".

I wasn't planning to stop in Leicester (apart from, it would appear, to clear the prop).

Funnily enough the CART "volunteer coordinator" for the central shires popped up on Facebook today. I asked him what he could do to assist he have me some waffle about putting together a team in Leicester and buggered off.

I'll give him some stick and get him trained, and find out if he can help in any way.

The section between Limekiln & Belgrave is awful.

But don't let it put you off, as the rest is quite pleasant.

It's really hard work , but you do get though it, as you say the rest is lovely and not as busy as the main routes

The section between Limekiln & Belgrave is awful.

But don't let it put you off, as the rest is quite pleasant.

Although I have been known to be critical of Leicester - I think the waterway through the city offers a great deal that will be of interest to a boater passing through. I also think it is well worth mooring up, if possible, at the C&RT Castle Gardens Visitor Moorings to explore the cosmopolitan city centre. It is perfectly possible to do this, spend a couple of hours shopping in the city and still enjoy a pleasant overnight mooring at Birstall or Kings Lock - having started the day from either . . .

The real problem with Leicester is its population who, in my opinion, seem to care little for the value of their unique heritage.

The waterway is almost magnificent and could easily be presented as such if the inhabitants and local authority cared about it.

Although I have been known to be critical of Leicester - I think the waterway through the city offers a great deal that will be of interest to a boater passing through. I also think it is well worth mooring up, if possible, at the C&RT Castle Gardens Visitor Moorings to explore the cosmopolitan city centre. It is perfectly possible to do this, spend a couple of hours shopping in the city and still enjoy a pleasant overnight mooring at Birstall or Kings Lock - having started the day from either . . .

The real problem with Leicester is its population who, in my opinion, seem to care little for the value of their unique heritage.

The waterway is almost magnificent and could easily be presented as such if the inhabitants and local authority cared about it.

Couldn't agree more ! - Whilst we have never moored at Castle (too close to home) , we have never heard of any major problems (Just noise on weekends), Whilst Belgrave to Limekiln is always a challenge (Its worse now than its been for 10yrs) We always enjoy th cruise down the mile.

We recently had to moor below Kings lock (Due to the restrictions) , not a preferred choice as bizarrely it is quiet 500yrds above the lock ! , plenty of youngsters with beer about which gave the OH concern, we had no problems - talked to all the lads & had a bit of a laugh (Mainly at our expense (On purpose!)) No problems at night , although we have heard from a couple of the 'fake rivet' brigade about troubles they had when mooring there , I suspect that is due to the attitude given to the local youths !

We have found that even the local youngsters are embarrassed at the state of the cut around Belgrave (Its a popular spot for them)