Engine size

PDT

Featured Posts

I am buying a 45' narrowboat and mooring it on the River Great Ouse in Cambridgeshire. What size/HP engine will I need to cope with river cruising? Any particular make(s) recommended?

I am buying a 45' narrowboat and mooring it on the River Great Ouse in Cambridgeshire. What size/HP engine will I need to cope with river cruising? Any particular make(s) recommended?

It's pretty benigne over here so doubt anytng would be unsuitable. There are boats of all shapes and sizes.. I have done it on 12hp Lister, 30hp Lister and now 114hp Vetus.

What you looking at?

What engine does your new boat currently have?

I haven't bought yet (will be a used boat) but imagine the engine's very importnat for river work (more than for canals?). Looking at 45 to 50 foot narrowboat.

It's pretty benigne over here so doubt anytng would be unsuitable. There are boats of all shapes and sizes.. I have done it on 12hp Lister, 30hp Lister and now 114hp Vetus.

What you looking at?

Nothing yet - I expect to buy 45-50 foot narrowboat and want to get engine choice right for river use (as much as I can with a used boat purchase!).

I haven't bought yet (will be a used boat) but imagine the engine's very importnat for river work (more than for canals?). Looking at 45 to 50 foot narrowboat.

Use the engine the boat comes with . . . . . it's 99.9% certain it WILL have an engine fitted!

(fitting a different engine to the original can be a rather complicated and unexpectedly expensive exercise!)

As with the others as long as the engine on your boat is working then it should be ok.

Other factors come into play with moving a boat easily and engine size is one of them also the prop and swim of the boat plays a big part.

It can get very technical but thats all I can offer.