victron 40amp mppt controller

lesrollins

Featured Posts

Can anyone help regarding the wiring of the victron 40amp mppt controller. I understand where the battery and solar panels feed in to the controller but where do the load wires from the controller go. The controller is already fitted with a rated fuse but do i need to put any inline fuses on any of the cables going in or out of the controller. The boat is also fitted with a victron inverter. Sorry to ask what might seem basic questions but the manual is not a lot of help. Thanks

The load output is not used on a typical boat installation. It is used to power equipment directly from the panel rather than through the battery.

As to fuses, the internal fuse is in the output, you could fit a fuse in the panel cables but I would consider this unnecessary.

Looking through victrons basic and terrible manual i am now led to beleive the cable which goes into the side of the controller is a battery heat sensor if so should this go straight to the positive terminal of the battery. The manual does not give any indication.

Looking through victrons basic and terrible manual i am now led to beleive the cable which goes into the side of the controller is a battery heat sensor if so should this go straight to the positive terminal of the battery. The manual does not give any indication.

I don't think it makes any difference since it just requires physical contact with the battery. The manufacturers that bother to tell you suggest negative terminal since you are less likely to short battery whilst fiddling with connection.

You are confusing a heat sensor with a battery (voltage) sensing wire. The former is a thermocouple stuck on the top the latter measures the voltage at the positive terminal to compensate for voltage drop on the high current line.

Edited by Chris Pink

You are confusing a heat sensor with a battery (voltage) sensing wire. The former is a thermocouple stuck on the top the latter measures the voltage at the positive terminal to compensate for voltage drop on the high current line.

Yours maybe but mine (Victron combi) is connected to a battery terminal.

It is supplied with termination fitted.

Yours maybe but mine (Victron combi) is connected to a battery terminal.

It is supplied with termination fitted.

Nevertheless I think you will find it is a thermocouple. Its connected to a battery terminal purely to allow physical contact for heat conduction.

Not sure why Chris mentioned voltage sensing since the OP was discussing location of heat sensor.

Nevertheless I think you will find it is a thermocouple. Its connected to a battery terminal purely to allow physical contact for heat conduction.

Not sure why Chris mentioned voltage sensing since the OP was discussing location of heat sensor.

form the the Victron manual;

"Battery voltage sense

In order to compensate for voltage loss due to cable resistance the MultiPlus is provided with a voltage sense facility so that the battery always receives the correct charge voltage."

or, in other words a wire connected to the battery positive.

It is, and I know it is, a thermo couple.

form the the Victron manual;

"Battery voltage sense

In order to compensate for voltage loss due to cable resistance the MultiPlus is provided with a voltage sense facility so that the battery always receives the correct charge voltage."

or, in other words a wire connected to the battery positive.

Yes but we are talking about battery temperature sensors. ;)

I rang victron energy in the Netherlands yesterday and spoke to one of there technical guys, the wire is placed into the lower hole on the side of the controller and is connected to the negative side of the battery. It is a temperature sensor.