iMAC & Large Format Printer on boat

The Construct

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I am in the planning stages of moving from 'house' to 'widebeam' and I will be CC'ing.

I'm interested in loads of things but here's a deal breaker, can I run an iMAC/ large storage discs and EPSON large format printer on board, connected to an inverter. I am anticipating maybe a genie for standby when moored up (as required) and obviously will take advantage of shore power when available.

Has anyone experience of this or a similar setup, I welcome your views and advice.

I will be looking at manufacturers data later but at this stage, your practical advice will prove very useful.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I am in the planning stages of moving from 'house' to 'widebeam' and I will be CC'ing.

I'm interested in loads of things but here's a deal breaker, can I run an iMAC/ large storage discs and EPSON large format printer on board, connected to an inverter. I am anticipating maybe a genie for standby when moored up (as required) and obviously will take advantage of shore power when available.

Has anyone experience of this or a similar setup, I welcome your views and advice.

I will be looking at manufacturers data later but at this stage, your practical advice will prove very useful.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

A Genie may be useful, especially if it can magic up electricity (be careful that you only use up one of your three wishes on this though!) :lol:

Otherwise a gennie (generator) would be useful!

(Welcome to the Forum by the way - and excuse my dubious sense of humour!)

There are many threads on this forum about power generation, but one of the (free!) download books you really will find useful is the Victron book (here)

There are always ways of creating power on a boat - though, without exception - they are all dearer than power in an house (sometimes very much dearer!)

The point you need to start at is: - how much power will you need, (in Kw / amps) - so you will need to write your own 'power audit!!

Edited to add a question: - - Aren't some high-end printers very fussy with the moisture content of paper - - ? - - will you need to consider special storage arrangements for your supplies??

Edited by Grace & Favour

Main issues (for me anyway)

Power

Condensation

Dust

Insurance

Power - ok you can buy gennies and invertors, I've not had any problems running equipment off any of thse things. But please don't drive your neighbours mad with noise because your batteries are flat and you need to use your computer. My newest machine uses much less power and has a longer battery life, so if the batts are flat in the evening, I've still got 6 hours of usage and I can charge it back up off the solar panels when it gets light. Get a couple of panels, they are great in the summer, we just spent five days in Hertford in the heatwave and didn't run the engine once.

Consider an ipad as well, great for boaters they use barely any electricity, last for about 10 hours on a charge, again we use ours off the batts in the evening then recharge in the daytime.

Condensation - this is a sod, when we had a desktop machine, in the winter, I took the case off and it was full of condensation. Laptops are a bit easier to care for on a boat and we've not had any problems. I don't think the printers like it though, I'm now on my fourth in six years. They get affected by the damp and cold in the winter and the heat in the summer. I've now got a cheap B&W laser printer and go to the printers for everything else.

Dust - again, a pain - if you have a burner onboard, because they make untold dust. Install Speedfan freeware so you can monitor your CPU temperature, if the machine starts running hot, then you need to attack the insides with a airduster, I'm not sure about getting into a Mac, but we find we have to clean the dust out of our machines round every five months. If you can get a printer that can be totally closed up when not in use this helps with dust. Or figure out a way of storing it.

Even when you're cruising in the summer you can get problems with 'dust' as in tree pollen and floating seeds, we've had loads of it in the boat recently.

Insurance - Make sure you are covered - do you use this equipment for work? We're with Mardon Marine and they cover you for equipment used for work and it is covered away from the vessel. I just had to claim for a theft of work equipment on the tube so I can vouch for them as being a good insurer.

Speedfan download My link

Google 'service manual' and the model name of your equipment, dunno about Macs, but we found clear, detailed instructions online about safely removing the back from our laptops and cleaning the dust out. Obviously if your machine is still in warranty it won't be a good idea to do this and you might want to take it to a certified repairer.

Edited by Lady Muck

Look into the trim variability of your intended boat and ask the vendor whether the printer can cope with that. Boats are often bow high or more level and the floors are never flat and horizontal and stationary. Boat trim changes as the tanks fill and empty.

Computer things should be fine as they have their own internal power supplies for all the voltages needed, A big battery should be a help for evening use. Consider an agency printer who will receive files from you ad even send the job on to the client for you.

You may find you have to slightly change the way you do things. We've started keeping all our current work in Dropbox, so we don't use our power hungry computers onboard all the time, we both have phones that can send and receive email and I use the Dropbox app on both my phone and ipad, so I can access the work whenever I need to, laptop is solely used for things that I can't do on the ipad and this really cut down the amount of energy we use.

On that note, make sure you back up in a minimum of two places. One of those places should be away from the boat. On a security note don't advertise the times you are not onboard. Despite being a keen social networker I never publicise online whether I'm aboard or not and the only bit of equipment I ever leave onboard is the £30 cheapo printer, we always take the rest of it with us.

Are you planning to be on the boat all the time? What happens if you can't be on your boat? We are lucky to have a land based residential address (with lots of space for working), plus also a small flat we can use (my grans old granny flat), so we split our time across these locations which is helpful in times of boat repairs, extremely bad weather etc. It helps with storage, we still run desktop machines and a proper printer at our land based address, so if we get work which requires lots of space and equipment and a proper broadband connection, we stay there, not on the boat.

It's a nice idea to cut all land based ties, but take it from me, you need a contingency plan. I know alot of creative freelancers on boats, in London, but I don't know one single one that doesn't have somewhere on the bankside to work from.

When you're on the move internet connection can be an issue. The only workround I've found for this is to buy a Vodafone mifi dongle (works like a wifi hotspot) and unlock it (buy an unlock code from here http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/ ) Then you can put any service provider PAYG sim inside - we've got 3, T Mobile and Vodafone sims - it gives you more of a chance of a connection.

You need a mifi dongle placed in a window to connect the ipad onboard, if you get an ipad, don't bother getting a 3g one, the contract is poor value and you can't get reception inside a steel boat.

I think your main difficulty will be with the printer. I think you could struggle to keep it in good working order. I had three different A3 bubble jet printers over the years and none of them could cope with the boat.

Edited by Lady Muck

Wow, many thanks for your advice and of course the links. Glad I asked the question because I hadn't thought of most of this stuff and all relevant. I thought the printer was the main issue but it may be just one, the storage and iMAC will be vulnerable to damp ... & dust.

Edited to add a question: - - Aren't some high-end printers very fussy with the moisture content of paper - - ? - - will you need to consider special storage arrangements for your supplies??

Yes, the media is certainly temperature sensitive and I handle it with cotton gloves, as you say, the moisture is also likely to be an issue.

Power

Condensation

Dust

Insurance

Power - ok you can buy gennies and invertors, I've not had any problems running equipment off any of thse things. But please don't drive your neighbours mad with noise because your batteries are flat and you need to use your computer. My newest machine uses much less power and has a longer battery life, so if the batts are flat in the evening, I've still got 6 hours of usage and I can charge it back up off the solar panels when it gets light. Get a couple of panels, they are great in the summer, we just spent five days in Hertford in the heatwave and didn't run the engine once.

Consider an ipad as well, great for boaters they use barely any electricity, last for about 10 hours on a charge, again we use ours off the batts in the evening then recharge in the daytime.

Agreed, I thought the solar panels are strategic when moored for a few days.

Condensation - this is a sod, when we had a desktop machine, in the winter, I took the case off and it was full of condensation. Laptops are a bit easier to care for on a boat and we've not had any problems. I don't think the printers like it though, I'm now on my fourth in six years. They get affected by the damp and cold in the winter and the heat in the summer. I've now got a cheap B&W laser printer and go to the printers for everything else.

Dust - again, a pain - if you have a burner onboard, because they make untold dust. Install Speedfan freeware so you can monitor your CPU temperature, if the machine starts running hot, then you need to attack the insides with a airduster, I'm not sure about getting into a Mac, but we find we have to clean the dust out of our machines round every five months. If you can get a printer that can be totally closed up when not in use this helps with dust. Or figure out a way of storing it.

Even when you're cruising in the summer you can get problems with 'dust' as in tree pollen and floating seeds, we've had loads of it in the boat recently.

I hadn't given any thought to these ... and they seem very important, I definitely planned a burner, in the same room as my MAC!! as for seeds etc well I really need to think about these issues.

Insurance - Make sure you are covered - do you use this equipment for work? We're with Mardon Marine and they cover you for equipment used for work and it is covered away from the vessel. I just had to claim for a theft of work equipment on the tube so I can vouch for them as being a good insurer.

Agreed and thanks.

Look into the trim variability of your intended boat and ask the vendor whether the printer can cope with that. Boats are often bow high or more level and the floors are never flat and horizontal and stationary. Boat trim changes as the tanks fill and empty.

Computer things should be fine as they have their own internal power supplies for all the voltages needed, A big battery should be a help for evening use. Consider an agency printer who will receive files from you ad even send the job on to the client for you.

Thanks for that

You may find you have to slightly change the way you do things...

I've got masses of storage capacity ... around 8TB... I keep copies of data in different premises and I don't (haven't) suffered many problems with data, however, condensation as you mentioned earlier worries me and this will create a completely different situation/problems.

Are you planning to be on the boat all the time? What happens if you can't be on your boat? We are lucky to have a land based residential address (with lots of space for working), plus also a small flat we can use (my grans old granny flat), so we split our time across these locations which is helpful in times of boat repairs, extremely bad weather etc. It helps with storage, we still run desktop machines and a proper printer at our land based address, so if we get work which requires lots of space and equipment and a proper broadband connection, we stay there, not on the boat.

It's a nice idea to cut all land based ties, but take it from me, you need a contingency plan. I know alot of creative freelancers on boats, in London, but I don't know one single one that doesn't have somewhere on the bankside to work from.

When you're on the move internet connection can be an issue. The only workround I've found for this is to buy a Vodafone mifi dongle (works like a wifi hotspot) and unlock it (buy an unlock code from here http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/ ) Then you can put any service provider PAYG sim inside - we've got 3, T Mobile and Vodafone sims - it gives you more of a chance of a connection.

You need a mifi dongle placed in a window to connect the ipad onboard, if you get an ipad, don't bother getting a 3g one, the contract is poor value and you can't get reception inside a steel boat.

I think your main difficulty will be with the printer. I think you could struggle to keep it in good working order. I had three different A3 bubble jet printers over the years and none of them could cope with the boat.

Yes, the plan was to move my studio, and living, onto a wide beam, consequently, I intend to live aboard. To maintain my work practice, I am reluctant to reduce my work platforms, consequently my iMAC/tablet/storage is fundamental for work and I don't want to change my workflow, it will give rise to all sorts of problems.

On reflection, a full move of my kit may not be practical, probably due to the environmental conditions you have mentioned. I am glad I asked and I really appreciate your responses - there's nothing like good practical advice.

Mmmmm I need to think

Thanks again

Yes, I wouldn't move your business lock, stock and barrel aboard in one go, we rented an office next to our moorings in our first months aboard, as our residential address is about an hours drive away, we needed somewhere really close by so we could get used to the boat and still get work done. It was a very steep learning curve. Even if you plan to cc, it might be wise to get a mooring at first, so you can get used to things.

Keeping things clean is the major issue for me - its not just boaters that are seen as grubby and a bit crusty, your equipment can end up like that too. My old phone looked like it was used on a building site once I 'd finished with it. I work in fashion so going to meetings with coaldust in my fingernails is not good!

Edited by Lady Muck

I'm interested in loads of things but here's a deal breaker, can I run an iMAC/ large storage discs and EPSON large format printer on board

Certain you need an iMac? an Air with a thunderbolt connection to a flat panel is likely to be more power friendly, they are incredibly power efficient for a laptop. 8TB can be got onto 2 'green' 4TB drives now, which idle at about 5w.

Yes, I wouldn't move your business lock, stock and barrel aboard in one go, we rented an office next to our moorings in our first months aboard, as our residential address is about an hours drive away, we needed somewhere really close by so we could get used to the boat and still get work done. It was a very steep learning curve. Even if you plan to cc, it might be wise to get a mooring at first, so you can get used to things.

Keeping things clean is the major issue for me - its not just boaters that are seen as grubby and a bit crusty, your equipment can end up like that too. My old phone looked like it was used on a building site once I 'd finished with it. I work in fashion so going to meetings with coaldust in my fingernails is not good!

Yes, I am thinking this is good advice. My plans were based around finances and of course 'lifestyle' - but I may need to remove my 'rose coloured spectacles!'

Certain you need an iMac? an Air with a thunderbolt connection to a flat panel is likely to be more power friendly, they are incredibly power efficient for a laptop. 8TB can be got onto 2 'green' 4TB drives now, which idle at about 5w.

Well the issue is simple, I made a big investment in kit last year and it has to last me a long time, my workstation is an iMAC with extra thunderbolt screen and the huge storage means they are drives rather than memory. Damn I wish I was blessed with foresight ...

Yep, go for solid state, no annoying air vents to get clogged with dust.

Yes, I think the printer is the higher risk of failure than the MAC, its massive and the fans kick in when the 'print queue' starts & of course dust is a major threat to the finished products, just one speck and an image is ruined.

Right this moment, it feels like my plans have been scuppered, sure it makes me sad but better at this stage than finding out the hard way. Strange how a question about power supplies gets to the real issues.

I'm still at the designing boat layout stage so am now re-visiting the idea/considering shore-based premises (as suggested above) but hey, I'm grateful for all the input.

and your large format printer will take up valuable space, but in a widebeam won't be too much of a major issue! A1? A0?

Yep, its huge and great ballast! Its a 24" Epson PRO7900, theres no way I can get it into a narrowboat - its got to be wide beam. The printer is great because I stay in control of the printing process and very convenient if I was CC'ing - but maybe it has to stay land-based.