paint around anodes

Featured Posts

Been meaning to post this for a few days. When pressure washing our NB last week I noticed that the existing bitumen within a couple of feet of the anodes was in rather poor condition and came off easily, whilst that on the rest of the hull was quite sound generally. The steel was in very good condition. Anyone else experienced this?

Edited by Guest

Never noticed the paint round the area of the anodes being any worse for wear.

On the inside the paint where the anodes have been welded on and cut off is a bit nackered, but othet then that.

The bit of hull under the anodes should be painted. Bit difficult if they're on.

I know from working on cathodic protection that this can damage coatings, so maybe thats what happening in this case.

Suggest it's ok and that you just re-black .

The action of cathodic protection causes the water near the anode to become slightly acidic, which could affect your paint, although the effect would only be significant if you were in still water and didn't move for a long time.

Arthur

Further to my previous post. Cathodic areas cause alkaline water, which could also damage paint. This would be especially effective if you had any missing or damaged paint near the anodes where the protecting currect would be strongest.

Arthur

Hi

Also having worked on anodes (N.Sea) we had the steel coated under the anode and the back of the anode coated.

The Acid/Alkaline thing, I had a mate who moored in a short arm with practically still water with no flow and was in the habit when fitting out of peeing over the side nearest the bank (to save room in his potty) when the boat came out for a repaint a year or so later that side of the boat had very little coating left.

david

Edited by David

Hi

Also having worked on anodes (N.Sea) we had the steel coated under the anode and the back of the anode coated.

The Acid/Alkaline thing, I had a mate who moored in a short arm with practically still water with no flow and was in the habit when fitting out of peeing over the side nearest the bank (to save room in his potty) when the boat came out for a repaint a year or so later that side of the boat had very little coating left.

david

So who is peeing on my boat then!!! Seriously thanks for answers; t was just curiosity really as it never happened on old boat.