K&A Hard work single handed

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Hi just covered my first day on the K&A after picking up the boat from brother at Newbury. Very pretty canal but could certainly use some maintenance, many of the swing bridges and lock gates are out of balance making it very hard going single handed. I'll be fit by the time I get back.

Personally I would say the K&A is hard work. If you can find another boat to pair up with at locks you'll make your life so much easier.

A year or two back we started ad hoc locking with another boat on the K&A from Bedwyn. They were good boaters and we worked well as a team. Three locks down we came across a single hander who had left Bedwyn two and a half hours earlier and was now sitting in the lock waiting for someone to come along and help them. As it broke up a good working partnership I thought it was a shame at the time. As the single hander pleaded helplessness in operating what were fairly easy lock gates I was annoyed. My thinking was that if you aren't at least willing to put in some effort at locks you probably shouldn't be on a boat.

Perhaps the K&A is a bit more work than other canals, but its worth it. That eastern stretch is beautiful this time of year. You might be lucky when you get to the Thames as most of the locks have just today gone from red to yellow boards. It's taken us a week and a half to get from Windsor to Henley.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I spent a very pleasant 3 days cruising from Kintbury to Reading and met forum member GSer on route - a very nice chap. I am now moored at Pangbourne Meadow on the Thames on way north.

I must say that from the section of the K&A I cruised it is a lovely waterway running through some beautiful countryside. I look forward to covering the whole length another time when I have company to help with the many locks and bridges. The two turf locks are certainly different and worth seeing.