58 Foot Limit

aread2

Featured Posts

I have often heard of the 58 foot limit for narrowboats. I have also heard that it is feasible to visit the affected canals in a 60 foot boat, with minor inconveniences. Has anybody experience of taking a 60 foot narrowboat through the locks with the supposed 58 foot limit. I believe it applies to the Huddersfield narrow canal.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody experience of taking a 60 foot narrowboat through the locks with the supposed 58 foot limit. I believe it applies to the Huddersfield narrow canal.

Narrowboats up to 72' can use the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. The 57'6" limit applies to the Huddersfield Broad Canal and the Calder and Hebble Navigation. A 60' narrowboat can fit into these locks at an angle. Read more about it here. The shortest lock is at Salterhebble but it is possible to go in backwards if the boat won't fit frontwards. having said that - I have been through Salterhebble locks with a 58'6" with no problem whatever and with a 60' boat with a tight squeeze at just one lock.

Narrowboats up to 72' can use the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. The 57'6" limit applies to the Huddersfield Broad Canal and the Calder and Hebble Navigation. A 60' narrowboat can fit into these locks at an angle. Read more about it here. The shortest lock is at Salterhebble but it is possible to go in backwards if the boat won't fit frontwards. having said that - I have been through Salterhebble locks with a 58'6" with no problem whatever and with a 60' boat with a tight squeeze at just one lock.

Hi Martin,

Yes you are correct with the care required on C & H with a 60 footer, I had difficulties and a soaking (Bad Top Gate leaking) with a 60' going down at Shepley Bridge Lock (Mirfield) last Friday.

There are reports of some of the 60' boat using this lock have got caught up on the cill and the bow has gone under. So I would advice when locking down with a 60' on the C & H use the method mentioned in your link but only use one lower gate paddle to control the water level. That way things happen a little slower and if you see a problem you can stop the water flow quickly with just one operation.

Mick & Pauline.

Hi Matt,

I have a half finished 57ft boat that was removed (See my avatar) from a recent collapsed boat builder on the Calder & Heble, which is a canal I am familiar with.

I decided on a 57ft boat because of the C & H locks and the amount of times I will be using it in the future. My family & relatives live in the Brighouse area, so I will spend a lot of time on it or passing through to the Huddersfield Narrow or the Rochdale.

Therfore a 57ft was the length of boat that would give less trouble on this canal. :D

This was confirmed to me last week, has I said in my thread when I took a friends 60ft boat from Mirfield down the C & H. :P

Mick & Pauline.

• 5 years later...

Just tried taking my 60 foot narrowboat up through the lock at Shepley Bridge. Had to give up, couldn't get her to fit diagonally and close the gates. Managed to get through all the locks since Broad Cut with no problem.

Considered taking off the button fender so as to squeeze in, but frankly I didn't want to take the risk of coming back through the locks.

Shame, was really looking forward to doing the Huddersfield Narrow Canal (which can fit 70 foot boats in locks).

Just tried taking my 60 foot narrowboat up through the lock at Shepley Bridge. Had to give up, couldn't get her to fit diagonally and close the gates. Managed to get through all the locks since Broad Cut with no problem.

Considered taking off the button fender so as to squeeze in, but frankly I didn't want to take the risk of coming back through the locks.

Shame, was really looking forward to doing the Huddersfield Narrow Canal (which can fit 70 foot boats in locks).

Nooooo stick with it, it can be done as we took at 60footer up last year.

The diagonal thing is a bit misleading. The best place to put your nose is in the middle of the cill and then swing the gate closed then reverse back a bit into the space behind the gate. To be fair Shepley and Salterhebble Top were the hardest and you may need to remove fenders.