How to connect an inverter?

Barry

Featured Posts

Buy a new 12v telly

Buy a 12v lead (Maplins) for the laptop.

;):cheers:

Tempting but the telly I bought for the boat is 240V which works fine when I'm on my mooring and leccied up - and its only a year old

Indeed but I don't think that is what Bazza has bought though has he?

Cigar lighter type , wired correctly & fused - Works well for us. !

No,but for what he needs it for''same as me and Benford boy''he needs to flog it on and get the small 200w max one that can be fitted quite safely and simply DIY.

By fitting the one he's got it will not only use more power on standby but he will probably be tempted to use more powerful mains appliances from it and then the agg and expense begins(more batteries,bigger alternator ect ect ect).

I think I've got one of these if I cast my mind back - but it won't power my CampingGaz coolbox from the cabin when the boat is under way - probably something to do with high resistance in the long thin wires on the 12V circuit in the cabin (you see I do know some stuff)

I paid a leccy to rewire the cigar lighter socket on my instrument panel so that I could get the coolbox working but that is only in the cockpit.

Half my problem is that my boat was wired by an amateur

Tempting but the telly I bought for the boat is 240V which works fine when I'm on my mooring and leccied up - and its only a year old

I think I've got one of these if I cast my mind back - but it won't power my CampingGaz coolbox from the cabin when the boat is under way - probably something to do with high resistance in the long thin wires on the 12V circuit in the cabin (you see I do know some stuff)

I paid a leccy to rewire the cigar lighter socket on my instrument panel so that I could get the coolbox working but that is only in the cockpit.

Half my problem is that my boat was wired by an amateur

I don't think its wise to use a fag lighter connector on any inverter,they are not renowned for making a good long term contact. Crocodile clips straight to the battery with a fuse in the + are better.

I don't think its wise to use a fag lighter connector on any inverter,they are not renowned for making a good long term contact. Crocodile clips straight to the battery with a fuse in the + are better.

Ours has been fine Bizz - But is a good quality one - I know what you mean tho , Would prefer a 3 pin Socket rather than croc clips personally , or Hard wired into fuse panel.