Boats & canals from the train

debbifiggy

Featured Posts

Had to travel to Leeds for a work meeting and took the train from Milton Keynes to Leeds via Manchester. Loads of fun spotting bits of canal and loads of boats. Highlights of the day were spotting a steam boat that looked like President making lots of smoke/steam heading north just above Great Heywood Junction on the T&M. Also managed to time the arrival at the office (pure luck) to see a horse boat in the lock on the river near Clarance Dock. Was it Sue Day with Maria? The motor closest to me seemed to be called Pearl Barley????? Oh, and I managed to see both portals of the Standedge Tunnel whilst on the Trans Pennine Express. Have a slightly cricked neck but it made a long train journey entertaining.

Beat the drought, go canal spotting by train!

D :D

President and Kildare were around Great Hayward at the back of 10.00 this morning. We're on Tixall Wide for a couple of days and they went by and onto the Junction. I could hear the steam whistle for a good half hour afterwards, so I guess they were still in the area. Don't know whether they went north or south on the T&M after that.

Edit: Ahhh - re-reading I see you spotted them north of GH!!

Edited by Jo_

Fairly sure it wasn't Maria, unless it got lifted out and moved by road. I have been working just up from Portland Basin on and off for a few months now and they came past yesterday.

Not a bad spot on my part. First boat i have seen moving on that part of the Ashton all the time i have been on this job and it happens to be Sue Day and Co on Maria.

Had to travel to Leeds for a work meeting and took the train from Milton Keynes to Leeds via Manchester. Loads of fun spotting bits of canal and loads of boats. Highlights of the day were spotting a steam boat that looked like President making lots of smoke/steam heading north just above Great Heywood Junction on the T&M. Also managed to time the arrival at the office (pure luck) to see a horse boat in the lock on the river near Clarance Dock. Was it Sue Day with Maria? The motor closest to me seemed to be called Pearl Barley????? Oh, and I managed to see both portals of the Standedge Tunnel whilst on the Trans Pennine Express. Have a slightly cricked neck but it made a long train journey entertaining.

Beat the drought, go canal spotting by train!

D :D

Pearl Barley is an early South West Durham Steelcraft boat IIRC and looks quite striking with its faux clothed-up working boat appearance. It was moored in Skipton a few days ago so I would think it has travelled straight through to Leeds as the timings match pretty well.

Roger

Pearl Barley is an early South West Durham Steelcraft boat IIRC and looks quite striking with its faux clothed-up working boat appearance. It was moored in Skipton a few days ago so I would think it has travelled straight through to Leeds as the timings match pretty well.

Roger

Yep, Pearl Barley looked the deal. Nice paintwork & lines etc. It was tipping down with rain so I couldn't spend too long or see too well so didn't see the boat on the inside of Pearl Barley. But there was definitely a boat horse in full regalia waiting quietly by the lockside and what appeared to be a butty or horse drawn boat. There was quite a crowd. Missed them exiting the lock into a lively River Aire as I had to get to that meeting.

D :cheers:

President and Kildare were around Great Hayward at the back of 10.00 this morning. We're on Tixall Wide for a couple of days and they went by and onto the Junction. I could hear the steam whistle for a good half hour afterwards, so I guess they were still in the area. Don't know whether they went north or south on the T&M after that.

Edit: Ahhh - re-reading I see you spotted them north of GH!!

Must have been President then. I'm chuffed (if you will pardon the pun!)

D

Sue Day is taking Elland (I think) over the L&LC, and should be at Saltaire this weekend for the World Heritage Day event. She is then continuing to Skipton for the Waterway Festival at the beginning of May.