Thinking of a marina move

Daftmare

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

We are thinking of changing our mooring location either later this year or maybe next.

I would quite like to go to Evesham on the River Avon, and wondered if there was anyone on the Forum who is moored in this area, either at Evesham Marina or nearby?

Thanks

Jo

Hey Jo

We have just moved off the Avon, purely for convenience as our new moorings are local to our home and with a fair bit of work to do will be quite handy.

We were moored at a small marina at Bidford-on-Avon called 'The Moorings' a small privately owned marina run by a great chap in a beautiful location with a mix of narrowboats and cruisers and all lovely people and friendly.

Can't recommend highly enough and miss it really but had to make the difficult decision between location aspect and convenience and once most of the work is done aim to return.

Hope this helps.

Hi

I have not yet moored in any of the marinas but am originally from there and am going back in June so have been having a look around.

Evesham is a nice looking marina - seems secure and has a decent chandlery and friendly owners. Mostly pontoon from memory but not huge so not like a car park.

There is also a marina near Strensham Lock - Eckington. That is all pontoon but again is nice and rural. Be aware that there have been rumours of some problems in that area - nothing definite but a few too many boats moored on the river near there have caught fire in the last year or so. Nothing has happened to anything on that marina though.

Further down there is Bredon and Tewkesbury.

Make sure that whereever you moor has poles - the area floods at least every year (not always as dramatically as in 2007 but you need to be aware).

ML

[

Hey Jo

We have just moved off the Avon, purely for convenience as our new moorings are local to our home and with a fair bit of work to do will be quite handy.

We were moored at a small marina at Bidford-on-Avon called 'The Moorings' a small privately owned marina run by a great chap in a beautiful location with a mix of narrowboats and cruisers and all lovely people and friendly.

Can't recommend highly enough and miss it really but had to make the difficult decision between location aspect and convenience and once most of the work is done aim to return.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for this - I will look into it. Can you remember if there are "poles" in case of flooding? Jo.

Hi

I have not yet moored in any of the marinas but am originally from there and am going back in June so have been having a look around.

Evesham is a nice looking marina - seems secure and has a decent chandlery and friendly owners. Mostly pontoon from memory but not huge so not like a car park.

There is also a marina near Strensham Lock - Eckington. That is all pontoon but again is nice and rural. Be aware that there have been rumours of some problems in that area - nothing definite but a few too many boats moored on the river near there have caught fire in the last year or so. Nothing has happened to anything on that marina though.

Further down there is Bredon and Tewkesbury.

Make sure that whereever you moor has poles - the area floods at least every year (not always as dramatically as in 2007 but you need to be aware).

ML

Thanks for this reply. Lots to think about! Jo.

Edited by Daftmare

There's also Sankey Marina just up from Evesham which has a small number of moorings. There might be a 50' berth available as I know someone who has recently moved their boat from there to moor at Napton.

Evesham is really nice, but as others have said, the Avon regularly floods. When we used to boat around there I met more than one local who said their boats had ended up in the woods or the middle of fields. It can get a bit lively, though obviously the boatyards do the best they can to look after 'their' boats.

There's also Sankey Marina just up from Evesham which has a small number of moorings. There might be a 50' berth available as I know someone who has recently moved their boat from there to moor at Napton.

Evesham is really nice, but as others have said, the Avon regularly floods. When we used to boat around there I met more than one local who said their boats had ended up in the woods or the middle of fields. It can get a bit lively, though obviously the boatyards do the best they can to look after 'their' boats.

Thanks for this. I think I need to find out how regularly is "regularly" !!

Jo.

Hey Jo

Yeah, there are poles and floating pontoons which are quite a bit taller than the floods of 2007.

Cheers

Thanks!

I know they have electricity, and presumably water, but do they have other facilities such as Elsan?

Jo.

If you go to Sankey Marine, have a look at the position of where the bar is - and then image the water rising until it is half way up the bar. That is a very scary prospect indeed; also have a look here - http://www.andrewdyke.co.uk/evesham_in_flood_july_2007.htm

:smiley_offtopic: Some people may not know why that boat (in the link) is called Toulouse. Allegedly it has 2 loos. Boom boom.

Back on topic, Pershore is a great place too.

Thanks for this. I think I need to find out how regularly is "regularly" !!

Jo.

Thanks!

I know they have electricity, and presumably water, but do they have other facilities such as Elsan?

Jo.

Yep, all three.

Cheers

Edited by Dave&Sarah