locks - most efficient way

Paul C

Featured Posts

short clip from youtube showing strapping

Excellent vid, it certainly does look pretty cool! I must confess, I vaguely assumed we were talking about closing a lock gate that swings outwards rather than inwards - can this be done as well? I'll keep browsing youtube tonight for others - i got side tracked by the 'boats crashing' video last night!

As there will be 4 of us next Easter, closing the gates isn't usually a problem, but I might try this out for interest!

Which canals have gates you can strap to close? All the ones I've seen have handrails too, which means they're virtually impossible to get a rope around were one might strap it.

It will vary from lock to lock rather than canal to canal. Somw locks have rounded strapping posts,some have square,some no longer get built with posts or they have been removed.

Some with strapping posts, as you say,also have railings attached,whereas others have railings set further back.

The Atherstone flight on the Coventry has about 4 locks you can strap,and then the others you can't due to one or more of yhe reasons above.