Propellers

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Yes Tony has kindly PMed me about it. Trouble is I am not sure which prop I have fitted, Crowther or "other".

I wouldn't describe the issue as a problem, I am just interested to understand why this observed behaviour is happening, knowing nothing about props as I do.

Actually I think you might be on to something there-when pointing the bow at the bank and stopping, the stern is in deep water but when reversing towards the bank the stern is inevitably in shallower water with reduced or zero water flow under the boat. I will have to try it again in deep water to see if it is the same. Biz, you are cleverer than you look!

:blush:

There is another another explanation'

The attitude of most boats in the water is ''stern end down''baseplate sloping down towards the stern.

Right boat clawing its way astern,boat suddenly shoved into fore-gear,water being dragged forward from astern whilst in astern gear still surging forwards,meets water suddenly surging backwards due to sudden prop rotation change causing a mini tidal bore excaserbated by the rearward slope of the base plate sloping even further as the propeller struggles to grasp hold of now turbulent water.Once the incoming tidal bore effect has triumphed over the outgoing tidal effect the retarding effect becomes more powerful but the prop still struggles with shoving the sloping base plate,like a planing boat trying to shove its hull up and onto the plane.

Hope this helps. :closedeyes: