Plank Lane Bridge, Leeds & Liverpool Canal

Jamboat

Featured Posts

Leeds & Liverpool Canal - Leigh Branch

The Plank Lane Swing Bridge

Has been replaced with electronically controlled lift bridge, work has over run, was due to be completed early March

Now passage allowed between 12 noon & 1pm daily also after 7pm daily until further notice.

A queue of boats had built up & most went through in a convoy at 5pm today when the contractors lifted it,

No updated info from BW, we had no idea until we turned up yesterday, good job we are not in a rush glare.gif

Pedantic note

Plank lane was always (at least in recent times) a lift not swing bridge, curiously though it's often been referred to as the latter...

Edited by MJG

Pedantic note

Plank lane was always a lift not swing bridge, curiously though it's often been referred to as the latter...

Ah well, it's a new & shiny lift bridge now wink.gif ( albeit on very restricted opening times)

Ah well, it's a new & shiny lift bridge now wink.gif ( albeit on very restricted opening times)

I suspect only the mechanism to raise it is 'new and shiny' and the guy that used to lift it is possibly out of a job... :(

I'm planning on going that way in late June, does that mean it will be self operated?

Yes - they have converted it to self operation.

I've not been through since it was converted but I'm guessing it will be a bit like operating the electric swing bridges...

• 2 weeks later...

"Plank Lane Swing Bridge" is one of those fantasy features that exists only in the minds of BW office staff who are not familiar with any canal except when a bit of one passes their office window. Like the "Manchester 18" locks, that were actually 19 locks but are now 17 locks.

Came through about 7-30 pm last night , self controlled use of buttons and cocky watchmen said they were going to tell the twenty or so boats that were waiting to use as and when they want , instructions said "GATE NOW OPEN " but i had to wait until it said ,BARRIERS NOW RAISED to remove key , i may have beeen tired or instructions may have said REMOVE KEY WHEN INFORMED GATE NOW OPEN , anyway it is ready for use in the advised time frames although they may not have installed signs stating passage allowed times.

this morning poolstock pound empty but bw were on the spot to sort out whatever reason it had emptied.

Came through about 7-30 pm last night , self controlled use of buttons and cocky watchmen said they were going to tell the twenty or so boats that were waiting to use as and when they want , instructions said "GATE NOW OPEN " but i had to wait until it said ,BARRIERS NOW RAISED to remove key , i may have beeen tired or instructions may have said REMOVE KEY WHEN INFORMED GATE NOW OPEN , anyway it is ready for use in the advised time frames although they may not have installed signs stating passage allowed times.

this morning poolstock pound empty but bw were on the spot to sort out whatever reason it had emptied.

As I have discovered today - BW's mechanised bridge and lock instructions need to be followed to the letter...and they can vary between mechanised locks and bridges.

"Plank Lane Swing Bridge" is one of those fantasy features that exists only in the minds of BW office staff who are not familiar with any canal except when a bit of one passes their office window. Like the "Manchester 18" locks, that were actually 19 locks but are now 17 locks.

It used to be a Swing Bridge. I don't think I've been through since it was changed to a Lift Bridge. :o

Tim