rayburns

Titan

Featured Posts

Now heres the thought , as were starting a fresh the boat is fully ballasted the whole length with floor and insulation, and now wiring is going inn etc. i have a old english stove all serviced to go in, but have been offered another with back boiler ?? At this stage ive been advised the boat still requires approx 3.7 tonnes of weight to get her sat right, Now to the q Rayburns I am intrested if any one uses one on a boat either solid fuel or oil, my trail of thought being heat cooking water heater oh and ballast ??? is a rayburn oiler likely to drink much more than a kabola? As for the solid fuel one, summers not an issue as we have cool two ring glass type lpg hob to install if we go this route. Or if i kept the kabola i have as a 2nd source of heat i could opt solid fuel range as alternate source of heating cooking etc Thankyou all for your thoughts and advise Martin

There have been a couple of threads about range cookers on here recently which may give you some guidance. I use a Rayburn in the house but not on the boat. Its primary advantage is that it handles cooking, hot water and central heating - unlike, for example, an Aga. Also an oil-fired model does not have to be on all the time, so your boat need not get excessively hot in summer.

There have been a couple of threads about range cookers on here recently which may give you some guidance. I use a Rayburn in the house but not on the boat. Its primary advantage is that it handles cooking, hot water and central heating - unlike, for example, an Aga. Also an oil-fired model does not have to be on all the time, so your boat need not get excessively hot in summer.

I agree with Athy, I have lived with and used the solid fuel and the gas (lpg) Rayburns. They are great, and will be putting one in my next boat. This time oil though, as solid fuel is messy, and of course the heating/cooling of the Rayburn is a lot longer. I am tempted not to add a seperate hob, but that will be suck-it-and-see. If you aren't familiar with them the one drawback is a grill. You can use a griddle plate but its not quite the same.

I agree with Athy, I have lived with and used the solid fuel and the gas (lpg) Rayburns. They are great, and will be putting one in my next boat. This time oil though, as solid fuel is messy, and of course the heating/cooling of the Rayburn is a lot longer. I am tempted not to add a seperate hob, but that will be suck-it-and-see. If you aren't familiar with them the one drawback is a grill. You can use a griddle plate but its not quite the same.

thank you all for your replies much appreciated.

I have a solid-fuel Rayburn on LION and apart from the warm months in the summer its on whenever we cruise (we're not liveaboards) I think its brilliant. I took out the small calorifier which was near it in a cupboard so we could have more storage, so the back boiler is unused. If you want to run it by gravity the calorifier needs to be close to the back boiler possibly others use a pump if its further away. I didn't install mine just inherited it with the boat, but love it.