Droitwich Canal

onthecut

Featured Posts

Gradually heading to Droitwich to sample the new bit. Question is, not having been on it yet, are we talking about getting to Stourport in one go and, if not, what and where are decent moorings on the newly opened section ?

Mike.

There don't really seem to be any moorings (apart from lock landings!) other than Droitwich Basin.

P1010075_stitch.jpg

We got from there to Stourport in about half a day last year, before heading on up the canal in the afternoon for a late finish at Wolverley Court lock.

ETA: The pontoons are straight really, that one just looks bent because of the panorama stitching software.

Edited by peter n
  • Greenie 1

It's a long haul in a day to be honest and there is nowhere to moor between the Severn and Droitwich - you generally won't get near the bank. Once on the Severn moorings are also pretty much non existent - what pub moorings there are have moorings that are not at ideal narrowboat height. Avoid the moorings at Holt Fleet - there is a really horrible pub with a traveller camp behind, moor there overnight at your peril.

What we did was to turn left at the river and drop through the lock, there is a good pub there with adequate moorings, it is also acceptable and sanctioned by the lock keeper to moor overnight on the tail of the lock landing - it is a couple of hundred of feet long. I think it would be polite to move off early the next day though.

Normally I would not say moor at a lock, but this one is equipped for it.

Depends how long you like your days, Droitwich to the Severn is three to four hours and Hawford to Stourport about the same, your problem might be stopping for lunch as there are no moorings on the canal and precious few on the river.

Bear in my timing on the Droitwich was before it officially opened, and therefore there were no other boats to get in the way!

There are moorings on the Worcs/Brum at Hanbury Wharf (both sides of the bridge) but the pub does carverys with no real beer !

Other than that there was no where to tie (apart from the town centre moorings) although there were a couple of boats tied just down of the A449 bridge

We left Droitwich about 2 and tied up on the Holt Lock moorings just after 4

Depends how long you like your days...

True enough, looking at the time stamps on my photos:

Left Droitwich sometime between 08:00 and 09:00, through bottom lock by 11:00.

After lunch and a long queue off the river we were in Stourport Basin by 14:30, and reached Wolverley Court Lock about 19:00.

I'd forgotten it was such a long, (and enjoyable), day!

True enough, looking at the time stamps on my photos:

Left Droitwich sometime between 08:00 and 09:00, through bottom lock by 11:00.

After lunch and a long queue off the river we were in Stourport Basin by 14:30, and reached Wolverley Court Lock about 19:00.

I'd forgotten it was such a long, (and enjoyable), day!

Going the other way last August we were a fair bit quicker.....

Left Stourport onto the Severn at 10:00, and were tied up in Droitwich by 17:00, so 7 hours for the trip, albeit without a break.

There don't really seem to be any moorings (apart from lock landings!) other than Droitwich Basin.

P1010075_stitch.jpg

We got from there to Stourport in about half a day last year, before heading on up the canal in the afternoon for a late finish at Wolverley Court lock.

ETA: The pontoons are straight really, that one just looks bent because of the panorama stitching software.

We did it in one day, two handed.

Reeds prevent mooring on the Barge Canal, a source of much inconvenience. This has led to loitering on lock landings. I have argued for improved mooring along here by the dredging of the neglected Chawson Basin, just before the railway tunnel. However, this is an SSI, I'm told and unlikely to happen now. Notwithstanding, there are rumours of a wide-beam marina planning application at a site hard by.

The picture is actually of Netherwich Basin-there is no Droitwich Basin as such-and there are usually free mooring berths. I think the ranger will move you on if you try to tie up in Vines Park further on.

Droitwich Spa Marina on the Junction Canal is now open. I was quoted £15/n for the first day then £10/n thereafter. I pointed out that this is rather higher than other marinas in the area. If you are under 70ft you may be able to negotiate a reduced price. It is 20min from the town and shops and 15 from the Eagle and Sun.

Going the other way last August we were a fair bit quicker.....

Left Stourport onto the Severn at 10:00, and were tied up in Droitwich by 17:00, so 7 hours for the trip, albeit without a break.

We also went the other way, leaving Stourport at 8:00 and mooring at Hanbury Wharf at 17:00, so 9 hours in total, including filling the water tank at the waterpoint next to Netherwich Basin and a quick trip to Waitrose in Droitwich but no other breaks.

Helen