Picture of a tiller and rudder

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm looking for a simple drawing showing the fitting and opperation of the tiller and rudder please :closedeyes:

Some while ago I gave a detailed account of how to remove and re-fit a Rudder and Swan's neck, If you trawl through my postings you should find it.

I have found the relevant paragraph and have reproduced it below

......Having removed several rudders in my time, believe me it takes a considerable amount of effort to get it out of the skeg bush, and just putting a rope through the hole in the top will not save it, the purpose of that hole is to balance the rudder when re-fitting it and to help manouver it back into the skeg bush. not to hold the weight.

....."For the record to remove a rudder first remove the Swan's Neck then bolt an eyed bracket onto the top of the rudder post and tie a stout rope through the eye. Tie a second rope through the hole in the top of the rudder. Place a strong person on the end of each rope and whilst both standing on the rear counter pull the rudder upwards until it is felt to come out of the skeg bush, then using the ropes, manouver the rudder past the skeg and allow it to gently fall to the bed of the canal DO NOT LET GO OF THE ROPES, Man three then either has to feel around for the rudder post rope under the counter or get into the water and find it, only when he has got a firm grip on this rope should man 2 let go of the rope. the rudder can then be dragged clear of the boat and hauled out of the canal. Replacing the rudder is a reversal of the above proceedure, but it is usually easier to drop the rope down the Rudder post tube and then attach it to the rudder, rather than try and feed the rope up through the tube. One final point, make sure that the section of canal where this is being performed is deep enough to allow the rudder post to clear the counter before the rudder lands on the canal bed."