Mooring on the Thames

Dreamer

Featured Posts

We are planning to go down through Oxford, onto the Thames and up to Lechlade and back next week. Does anyone have any advice as to places to moor and pubs etc to visit please? Also if anyone has any general advice about cruising the upper reaches of the Thames I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Mike

I am also venturing on the big river this year and would appreciate some advice on a very simple matter.....

Every so often on a canal, a boat whips passed and rips your moorings out. On a canal it's not really a problem, on a river it probably would be. What can I do to reassure myself that this really isn't a problem?

Is it just a case of only using rings or extra big mooring pins!?

I am also venturing on the big river this year and would appreciate some advice on a very simple matter.....

Every so often on a canal, a boat whips passed and rips your moorings out. On a canal it's not really a problem, on a river it probably would be. What can I do to reassure myself that this really isn't a problem?

Is it just a case of only using rings or extra big mooring pins!?

Throw the anchor overboard.

I don't think you'll find it's as much a problem on the Thames, you do need to make sure your mooring stakes are in good.

Most boats are quite a way away from you when you are moored up because of the size of the river, however you will feel the wash more than on a canal because of the style of the hulls of a lot of boats.

Big trip boats are by far the worst.