Leeds and Liverpool recommendations

hmallett

Featured Posts

Can't comment on Silsden boats yet but I have booked to use one of theirs "Sams Drum" at the end of April so will gladly let you know my impression of them.

I have yet to plan which direction to take from there be it east or west so would appriciate any comments. I would like to get to Leeds if I can then try and get as far west afterwards. only got the boat for a week (which only gives you 6 days in practice), and would like to stop off at any interesting places on the way, not just go hell for leather just to see how far I can get.

I would go west up the Dales rather than going to Leeds, if you have time you can always do the 5 rise locks on your return.You might just want to stop in Skipton and pay a visit to the market (Mon,Wed,Fri & Sat).Gargrave and East Marton are other other places worth stopping at and a trip through Foulride Tunnel too. Enjoy your cruise hope the weather gets better too.

Can't comment on Silsden boats yet but I have booked to use one of theirs "Sams Drum" at the end of April so will gladly let you know my impression of them.

I have yet to plan which direction to take from there be it east or west so would appriciate any comments. I would like to get to Leeds if I can then try and get as far west afterwards. only got the boat for a week (which only gives you 6 days in practice), and would like to stop off at any interesting places on the way, not just go hell for leather just to see how far I can get.

I'd say depnds on how many crew you have and whether you like a leisurely meander or want long cruising days abd your previous experience. I think I'd go and do the bingley 5 rise - it really is an experience then head back west calling in at skipton preferably on a market day either on your way out or on your way back, going as far west as you are happy with, but i agree with the previous poster, gargreave, east marton and foulridge tunnel well worth visits if time allows.

The silsden fleet is quite large and so there boats tend to travel as a pack so you could be at the end of a line of boats waiting to enter locks.

sure you'll enjoy it -its a great bit of canal.

I'd say depnds on how many crew you have and whether you like a leisurely meander or want long cruising days abd your previous experience. I think I'd go and do the bingley 5 rise - it really is an experience then head back west calling in at skipton preferably on a market day either on your way out or on your way back, going as far west as you are happy with, but i agree with the previous poster, gargreave, east marton and foulridge tunnel well worth visits if time allows.

The silsden fleet is quite large and so there boats tend to travel as a pack so you could be at the end of a line of boats waiting to enter locks.

sure you'll enjoy it -its a great bit of canal.

Thanks Dalesman and JonathanA for your recommendations. For info were a 2 person crew and had 3 previous holidays afloat which included the Foxton flight and a number of long tunnels, so although not experts we do feel fairly competent boaters. Long cruising days will only be the norm if there is no points of interest to visit, so the market at Skipton will be one stopping point on the list. Likewise any brewery’s, old interesting buildings etc… I had thought that Leeds would be interesting as it would offer a glimpse of the industrial revolution from a canal perspective, but maybe that has been knocked down and rebuilt by now.