Canaltime

Wumpty

Featured Posts

Evening all, a couple of years ago I used to work at Canaltime at Alvecote marina, I cycled past there a month or two ago and it seams they've vanished, anyone know what happened to them?

Adam.

Last I saw of them they had relocated to Sawley Marina, As far as I know they still operate from there!

They were bought out by ABC a couple of years ago. The Alvecote location ceased, but at Market Harborough (for example) the boats continued and were repainted in blue and rebranded as Canal Boat Club (I think). They operate under the banner of Tillerman Boats which is a division of ABC.

They were bought out by ABC a couple of years ago. The Alvecote location ceased, but at Market Harborough (for example) the boats continued and were repainted in blue and rebranded as Canal Boat Club (I think). They operate under the banner of Tillerman Boats which is a division of ABC.

I've heard it was after too many of the 'C's were peeled off the signwriting... :closedeyes:

Well, that's interesting. Certainly all ones at Market Harborough were rebranded and there are a number now operating out of ABC's Gayton Marina.

I seem to recall being told by ABC's managing director Ed Helps about three years ago that they had won the contract for operating many of Canaltime boats.

**** Edited to say - I have checked and ABC took a management contract for 70 Canaltime boats in September 2008.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Well, whatever has happened to them, the fleet actually badged as "CanalTime" must be vastly reduced.

A previous long summer holiday would have had us passing loads, but this year all CanalTime boats I saw were re-branded to something else.

I'm actually surprised to hear any now operate as CanalTime. I assumed that was dead as a brand.

Obviously not, but it sounds like their area of operation is much restricted.

The ones that now make it down our way look like This

Well, whatever has happened to them, the fleet actually badged as "CanalTime" must be vastly reduced.

A previous long summer holiday would have had us passing loads, but this year all CanalTime boats I saw were re-branded to something else.

I'm actually surprised to hear any now operate as CanalTime. I assumed that was dead as a brand.

Obviously not, but it sounds like their area of operation is much restricted.

The ones that now make it down our way look like This

The re-branding may be due to Canaltime diversifying from timeshare into timeshare/hire.

However, the distinctive 'no front doors' layout is always dead give-away.

I have been told that the design of Canaltime boats is to ensure that the reluctant punter can not escape when cornered by the time-share salesman.