Cooling and adding a thermostat

richardf

Featured Posts

Will this scenario work - bypass on engine is piped through one of the skin tanks. This is basically the system I have at the moment, the engine reaches temp reasonably quickly, but is a tad undercooled for river use).

The main outlet from the stat is connected to the second skin tank and hence also circulates when above the set temp.

Both skin tank outlets rejoin the system just upstream of the Jabsco.

Anybody come across this before - I have heard of people valving off a second tank, but I really want everything to be automatic and think maybe the thermostat approach is just an automatic valve?

I can draw a diagram if it would help!!

The thermostat housing has 1'' BSP tappings at either end, and 1/2" BSP on the bypass - but all my existing pipework is 1/2", so I was intending to bush down the connections at the thermostat using brass bushes.

Is it advisable to put a valve on the bypass circuit to throttle it down? I'm also a tad concerned that when the water runs around the bypass and rejoins the main loop from the skin tanks that it might try and head in the wrong direction (towards the tanks rather than towards the jabsco) - would a non return valve be advisable?

Could try a TMV (thermostatic valve) of sufficient flow and temp rating on the bypass, hot inlet to 'bypass in', cold inlet to 'skin tank out'.

Below TMV set point it would draw from 'bypass in', as this rises above TMV setpoint it would start to draw from 'skin tank out' to maintain desired setpoint.

ETA: a diagram would help. Also what temp is your main thermostat?

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete