12 v or 240?

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

I want to fit a couple of spotlights inside our boat.I have seen various threads here on useing items from ikea etc which with transformer removed can be plugged to 12v system.1st question does this just mean simply chopping the wires to remove transformer then wireing to a 12v plug? Secondly which is best,running 12 or 240v as far as battery power useage? I have both power outlets available but would prefer to use 12v sockets as they happen to be handily placed and are never used for any other devices.

Cheers,

Ian.

Don't do it if they are LED lights. The transformer is a current limited power supply and you'll blow the LEDs if you connect them directly. If they are LEDs then you'll need a buck converter to run them. These are available from a number of electronic stockists and are easy to use, but you'll need to kmow the business end of a soldering iron to fit them.

If they are halogen or bulb then there's not a problem.