The Waterways archive needs help - be an angel!

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

This caught my eye on waterscape today, I cannot believe the wording of this, apart from the corrupt type they are asking for an person with little experience! "whilst a general interest in history and some knowledge of the history of canals is desirable but not essential."

The archive is already bereft and strewn with errors, mistakes, information missing, items not linked together to an extent that it actually sent the a wrongly captioned picture (Hednesford basin) to Hugh Potter for a two page spread in "Narrowboat". I am working on a project where several hundred images are not captioned correctly, information is guessed, series are not linked etc. What the archives needs is not an angel but the the experts, many of which read this forum. To give you some idea how bad the annotation is, on items out of 300 images, 298 had faulty descriptions. Now that probably resulted from a general archivist doing the work with people on job experience which is how it was carried out in part.

With the loss of Caroline Jones attached directly to the archive I can only fear for the quality of information that will be forthcoming in the future to those of us who use it regulary.Here is the "advert":

British Waterways - Archives Angel

The Waterways Archive collects, preserves and makes publicly available records relating to our inland waterways. These include plans, drawings, accounts, photographs and letters. At the core of the collection are the archives of British Waterways and the early canal companies, which trace the history of Britain�s inland waterways back to its very roots in the 17th century.

Opportunities Available:

Recording and monitoring

What's in it for you: This is an opportunity to gain valuable experience working with the archive assistant on a range of aspects associated with the archives of National Waterways Museum Collection.

Key Skills Required: Good organisational skills and a proactive approach are key to this role whilst a general interest in history and some knowledge of the history of canals is desirable but not essential.

This role involves some light lifting and carrying so requires some physical fitness.

Training Offered: Role specific training will be given.

Nearest waterway: Shropshire Union

Email: emma.wright@thewaterwaystrust.co.uk

Edited by Laurence Hogg

With the loss of Caroline Jones attached directly to the archive I can only fear for the quality of information that will be forthcoming in the future to those of us who use it regulary.

Are you saying that Caroline Jones is no longer employed at The Waterways Trust archive, Gloucester ?