Paint

Bluesman

Featured Posts

Could somebody help out here we're having a wide beam built and one of the reasons we chose the fit out firm was because they hand-painted there boats and we'd seen examples of there work but as they cannot accommodate a wide beam inside they want to farm the paint job out,problem is the firm they want to use only spray paint and we've not been able to see what kind of work they do,going to cost 7K that will include a full shot blast job and blacking,question is,is hand-painting better than a spray job,other problem is they want to do fit out on the water with no cover over boat and as winter is coming I'm worried about damp getting inside as paneling out is done,any thoughts you have will be appreciated,to be honest I don't feel comfortable with it at all but need second opinions to convince the better half.

You are a long way from your paint job at present so ask to see a few jobs done by the firm that will be spaying the paint before you OK it.

£7k for shotblast then painting seems pretty reasonable to me though.

Don't forget even though you are going via the builder/fitter out that it's your money so you have some control over it.

If the boat has doors /windows etc that don't leak I wouldn't worry about fitting out on the water.

This is not unusual especially for those who self fit sailaways

Could somebody help out here we're having a wide beam built and one of the reasons we chose the fit out firm was because they hand-painted there boats and we'd seen examples of there work but as they cannot accommodate a wide beam inside they want to farm the paint job out,problem is the firm they want to use only spray paint and we've not been able to see what kind of work they do,going to cost 7K that will include a full shot blast job and blacking,question is,is hand-painting better than a spray job,other problem is they want to do fit out on the water with no cover over boat and as winter is coming I'm worried about damp getting inside as paneling out is done,any thoughts you have will be appreciated,to be honest I don't feel comfortable with it at all but need second opinions to convince the better half.

Hi.Being the boat builder in question I would wish to try put any doubts to rest regarding the paint job we are offering,the company that I recomended do the job for you is www.sgrefinishers.co.uk so please check out their website.All of my previous boats have been fitted out on the water with no problems at all but if you have any major concerns I can put the boat in the workshop for you and then if you would prefer me to hand paint and shot blast then I will do, no probs.

Regards.

Hi.Being the boat builder in question I would wish to try put any doubts to rest regarding the paint job we are offering,the company that I recomended do the job for you is www.sgrefinishers.co.uk so please check out their website.All of my previous boats have been fitted out on the water with no problems at all but if you have any major concerns I can put the boat in the workshop for you and then if you would prefer me to hand paint and shot blast then I will do, no probs.

Regards.

I like the idea of using 2 pack paint and airless spray. Its not the same as you see garages using when they respray cars, you get a much thicker coat.

I like the idea of using 2 pack paint and airless spray. Its not the same as you see garages using when they respray cars, you get a much thicker coat.

Thicker is not necessarily better. Every paint manufacturers publish product specification sheets that state the optimum paint thickness for the level of protection required. Any thicker and basically it is just a waste of paint. ;) Also thick paint is more easily knocked of corners.

Thanks for all the comments and duly noted,the price for the job wasn't the issue it was the durability of a hand brushed job against a spray job that was my concern,I had read somewhere that hand brushed had better durability regarding weathering,if car spraying techniques had been employed then IMO only a very thin layer would be applied,look how easily a car's paint can get scratched down to the bare metal,can't comment on an airless spray resulting in a thicker layer of paint but will look into it.