Webasto service

keble

Featured Posts

Hi,

Seems a good idea to get our Webasto (thermotop E) serviced.

Has anyone done this recently, and if so what's a reasonable price?

Thanks, Rob

Sounds like a good idea, but if its not broken why try to fix/service it. Now that white (road) diesel is supplied (with the red excise dye added) by boatyards as opposed to the previously supplied red diesel of sometimes varying quality the burner units on the Webasto should last longer before they fail. (They were only ever designed to run on road diesel or the more refined military spec diesel.

Had thought about sevicing our unit and had printed out someone, a boater, who had done this several times and written out the very full and detailed instructions with photos, which I think is available on this forum. As it happens, had occassion to meet up with someone from Webasto recently and over several pints discussed servicing etc.

Guess the price would be the hourly labour rate by whoever does it plus parts if needed and any consumables such as anti freeze at 50/50 mix if required. Wait until it fails and then face the cost and hassel. I have a copy of the boaters service procedure so PM me if you want a copy.

Keep warm!

Sounds like a good idea, but if its not broken why try to fix/service it. Now that white (road) diesel is supplied (with the red excise dye added) by boatyards as opposed to the previously supplied red diesel of sometimes varying quality the burner units on the Webasto should last longer before they fail. (They were only ever designed to run on road diesel or the more refined military spec diesel.

Had thought about sevicing our unit and had printed out someone, a boater, who had done this several times and written out the very full and detailed instructions with photos, which I think is available on this forum. As it happens, had occassion to meet up with someone from Webasto recently and over several pints discussed servicing etc.

Guess the price would be the hourly labour rate by whoever does it plus parts if needed and any consumables such as anti freeze at 50/50 mix if required. Wait until it fails and then face the cost and hassel. I have a copy of the boaters service procedure so PM me if you want a copy.

Keep warm!

Thanks J R. Hmm, I've seen elsewhere people talking about an annual service, so i thought I was well behind the curve after three and a half years!

It used to stop running after a while but seems fine now after I fitted a fuel filter.

Not sure I'm ready to try doing it myself (I do electronics, not mechanical things!)

Keep warm!

Oh you are so right, never mind a relatively small fee for cleaning out the combustion chamber and checking the other bits as a matter of course, lets all wait till it is coked up past redemption and just buy a new one.

In fact lets all just buy a spare heater to replace the unserviced item when it goes tits up.

Brilliant just brilliant, wish I had thought of it first.

Oh you are so right, never mind a relatively small fee for cleaning out the combustion chamber and checking the other bits as a matter of course, lets all wait till it is coked up past redemption and just buy a new one.

In fact lets all just buy a spare heater to replace the unserviced item when it goes tits up.

Brilliant just brilliant, wish I had thought of it first.

When and if it breaks down, any spare parts required or are completely past redemption are readily avilable. You do not have to buy a complete new unit.

Had thought about sevicing our unit and had printed out someone, a boater, who had done this several times and written out the very full and detailed instructions with photos, which I think is available on this forum.

It is.

Tony

Keep warm!

What did he say then? leave it till it breaks or service it regularly?

What did he say then? leave it till it breaks or service it regularly?

I have not yet been brave enough to follow Chris W's excellent guide (and I am too tall to get to it easily). The only time we had our Webasto serviced was when it got fully coked up and we bought the service kit - it was something like £180 so not cheap. A regular service has to be cheaper.

I had a long chat with a guy from Webasto at one of the shows, he said our habit of running it for an hour was too short, it needs 90 minutes to 2 hours to get really hot. Since we changed to a longer running time it has lasted 3 years and seems to be still going strong.