from selby to rodley

owen

Featured Posts

where are you setting off from

Same as last time - our home mooring is on the Calder, just past Castleford.

It's half term, so Circe & I thought that perfect way to relax would be to spend it in a 45 foot boat with three children and a dog. :help:

Same as last time - our home mooring is on the Calder, just past Castleford.

It's half term, so Circe & I thought that perfect way to relax would be to spend it in a 45 foot boat with three children and a dog. :help:

sounds iydilic :wacko::blink: having said that if the sun shines and the kids get to let off some steam :argue: and the dog sleeps :tired: .Talk about all the planets having to align. :clapping: then you could be on :cloud9:

sounds iydilic :wacko::blink: having said that if the sun shines and the kids get to let off some steam :argue: and the dog sleeps :tired: .Talk about all the planets having to align. :clapping: then you could be on :cloud9:

Was it you that passed us this afternoon? - we were moored just down from the lock at Beale..we waved and you seemed to recognise our boat name as you passed.

Not seen you yet Owen. We're probably going to be shifting up to Granary Wharf tonight (easier station access) and then up to somewhere beyond Rodley tomorrow.

The Book Barge is great. Had a lovely chat (and some books) from there yesterday - she's Nottingham-bound next.

Lovely to catch up in the locks, Owen! Safe journey back - will keep an eye out when we're passing you tomorrow :)

nice to meet you both to eventually got back this morning at 11,30 due to kirkstall lock being shut at 3 :o and then bw not opening the flipping thing until 8.55 :wacko: thought they would open them at sunrise :rolleyes: anyhoo other than that the journey was great the boat performed fantastic not a murmer or a hiccup absolutley fantastic if i wasnt bitten by boating bug before it really got its teeth stuck in this weekend hope your journey goes as well when youve picked your son up from selby all the best owen :cheers:

Was it you that passed us this afternoon? - we were moored just down from the lock at Beale..we waved and you seemed to recognise our boat name as you passed.

yes that was me im sorry didnt stop to chat but im sure we will meet up somewhere along the way all the best

We saw your lovely boat on the way past today (one of your nice neighbours took pity on my girliness and did the swing bridge for me! Cue embarrassed smiley)

Saltaire and beyond. Got to admit, I'm looking forward to the 5 rise - I think it's the latent tourist in me! I'm bitten by exactly the same bug! Hopefully catch up again soon :)

Saltaire is nice and if you moor up and go across into roberts park there is a nice cafe also i dont know if its still there but there is the ice cream boat the kids will like roberts park ,Dont know if they like kfc or not but its only a short walk up the road towards bingley just on the roundabout theres also some nice little shops and bistros there to and if you need one a launderette cheers owen

Saltaire is brilliant.

And for some reason, this stretch of the L&L is deserted. You were the last boat we saw moving, two days ago. The lockie at Field 3 Rise hasn't seen anyone moving either.

The weather is remarkable for late October, the scenery gorgous, the towpaths full of walkers - but nobody else is boating here.

Saltaire is brilliant.

And for some reason, this stretch of the L&L is deserted. You were the last boat we saw moving, two days ago. The lockie at Field 3 Rise hasn't seen anyone moving either.

The weather is remarkable for late October, the scenery gorgous, the towpaths full of walkers - but nobody else is boating here.

I thought it was quite to but it was great with the weather being like it is you would have thought people would take advantage of it apparantley someone was saying that after monday you have to give 72 hour notice to go through the staircase locks like 5 rise and so on but dont take my word for it cos im on a learning curve like the north face of the eiger :blink:

I thought it was quite to but it was great with the weather being like it is you would have thought people would take advantage of it apparantley someone was saying that after monday you have to give 72 hour notice to go through the staircase locks like 5 rise and so on but dont take my word for it cos im on a learning curve like the north face of the eiger :blink:

Hi Owen - notice is required certainly on the likes of the 3 and 5 rises - if you have a look on waterscape at the boaters guide here-

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/guides/download/1dfbde7ca40d45ac92b40232e5cd6c22

It will give you the info. you need....

Quote...

cause ----------------------------------------------------

Winter opening times between Bingley Five

Rise & Leeds Basin PLEASE REMEMBER

THAT PASSAGE DURING THE WINTER

MUST BE BOOKED WITH A MINIMUM OF 72

HOURS NOTICE. THIS IS FROM 31ST

OCTOBER 2010 UNTIL 11th MARCH 2011.

SATURDAY/SUNDAY CLOSED. First

Passage Last passage Bingley Five & Three

Rise 08.15am 3.00pm Field Lock 08.15am

3.00pm Newlay Top Lock to Forge Lock

08.15am 3.00pm Forge Lock to Newlay top

Lock 08.15am 3.00pm Contact the

Administration Team for full booking information

on 01942 405700, Monday to Friday between

9.00 am and 4.30pm. We apologise for any

inconvenience these restrictions may cause

Edited by MJG

Do they restrict these because of vandalism, or do they restrict them because they don't believe boaters cant manage them by themselves????

The latter - I for one would not like to tackle the 5 or the 3 without a locky - also it is so quiet up here at this time of the year that staffing them full time is not justified.

The other staircase locks are manageable by boaters on their own though...but sometimes in high season you have a locky taking you through...

I rather like the way the L&L trains you up with locks - Leeds lock being your last electric, then a few normal traditional locks, followed by a 2 rise. Then it starts throwing 3 rises at you - there are a few of those before the 5 rise.

We were quite surprised to find a locky at one of the 3 rises - we'd done all of the others on our own, so really weren't expecting anyone before Bingley tomorrow.

We'll be back through before 31st, so no problems hopefully :)

We were quite surprised to find a locky at one of the 3 rises - we'd done all of the others on our own, so really weren't expecting anyone before Bingley tomorrow.

He was at the wrong 3-rise, though. Someone had emptied the upper two chambers of Newlay 3-Rise to the mud.