Fitting a new engine

Featured Posts

Hoping someone can give me some advice.... I bought a 57ft narrowboat from Collingwood Boats/Liverpool Boats nearly 3 years ago. I have saved up for a reconditioned BMC 1.8 engine and gearbox from Calcutt Boats, I have come to fit it and the boss is out of line sending the prop shaft down. I have had to lower the mountings at the back to sit in line with the shaft, which has left the engine tilting downwards. As Alan McNaughton from Collingwood Boats/Liverpool Boats is refusing to even talk to us or return our calls, could anybody tell us would this affect the engines performance in any way or the propellor. Any advice welcome, thanks..

Hoping someone can give me some advice.... I bought a 57ft narrowboat from Collingwood Boats/Liverpool Boats nearly 3 years ago. I have saved up for a reconditioned BMC 1.8 engine and gearbox from Calcutt Boats, I have come to fit it and the boss is out of line sending the prop shaft down. I have had to lower the mountings at the back to sit in line with the shaft, which has left the engine tilting downwards. As Alan McNaughton from Collingwood Boats/Liverpool Boats is refusing to even talk to us or return our calls, could anybody tell us would this affect the engines performance in any way or the propellor. Any advice welcome, thanks..

I'm not entirely clear what you are saying. Has the boat had a different engine fitted for the last three years? Has it had a BMC 1.8 previously? Have you had the original engine reconned?

It sounds like you might be trying to drop in a different engine, or the same engine with slightly different mounts. Either way, the answer would seem to be the the mounts have to be made up so that the engine is in line with the shaft. This is not unusual, unless you are exchanging one engine for an identical copy, it is not likely to line up.

If you are saying that the prop shaft is angled slightly downward, when you were expecting it be level - don't worry, this is normal and not adjustable. It is to help direct the thrust down into the water to counteract "squatting".

Ian

Edited by Boatgypsy

I would think the engine will be happy at anything up to 15 degrees tilt. Think about it, vehicles have to go up hill and keep running and therefor pick up oil. And downhill for that matter.

Edited by Biggles

should be no issue but you will need to re check oil levels in both eng and G/Box. If you want the engine level you could use asigma drive from Midland chandlers which will allow upto 4 degress of misalignment which is more than you think cost about £400

should be no issue but you will need to re check oil levels in both eng and G/Box. If you want the engine level you could use asigma drive from Midland chandlers which will allow upto 4 degress of misalignment which is more than you think cost about £400

For 400 squid, as another option, you could drydock the boat and have the boss cutout and re welded in.

I only know because I did to renew the boss to cure leakage :lol:

Thanks for your help, will the oil readings be accurate enough, I had to drop the engine an inch and 3/4 to line up, thanks