Best places for liveaboards?

jimbo747

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

For reasons that are everything to do with happiness and nothing to do with money, I am giving a lot of thought to moving aboard.

It's clear that places like London and the K&A (Reading end at least) are full as far as legitimate moorings are concerned, but in which parts of the country are residential moorings (or 11 month usage "holiday home") moorings more likely to be available.

Im quite lucky in that I hate my job, which is very well paid, so am happy to find a mooring and then find work doing anything that pays enough to keep the meter running.

James.

New marina in the centre of town Northampton Beckets Park, has pleny of moorings. I think I got the last residential, but am waiting for paperwork. They do 11 month moorings but any time away counts... so going off at weekends, soon adds up to 1 month a year

London certainly isn't full - it just depends how fussy you are. Last time I checked Engineers Wharf on the Paddington Arm of the GU had spaces, and I don't think Willowtree is full. High Line do get spaces from time to time - there were a few last year. Virginia Currer is a broker that sells boats on resi moorings and they currently have 10 or so for sale.. http://www.vcmarine.co.uk/saleresidential.html Spaces at BWML marinas also seem to come up fairly regularly. Spots also come up at private moorings sometimes - it's worth asking around.

Good luck with the search :)

Hi guys,

For reasons that are everything to do with happiness and nothing to do with money, I am giving a lot of thought to moving aboard.

It's clear that places like London and the K&A (Reading end at least) are full as far as legitimate moorings are concerned, but in which parts of the country are residential moorings (or 11 month usage "holiday home") moorings more likely to be available.

Im quite lucky in that I hate my job, which is very well paid, so am happy to find a mooring and then find work doing anything that pays enough to keep the meter running.

James.

A few places left at Riverside Island Marina at Isleham (in the Fens)

Phil

Empty moorings at Reading IDR. No one wants them :-(

Sue

But would a blind eye be turned at these if used "residentially", which is what OP is after ?

It does seem to vary enormously where you can just take a "leisure" mooring and live there unchallenged, and where trying to do that might result in problems.