Calder and Hebble Handspike

Triumphtone

Featured Posts

Hi

We about to tackle the Calder and Hebble for the first time. I have acquired a length of 3x2 hardwood to make a handspike. I've just measured the cross-section and I have found that its an eighth of an inch oversized. Will this matter or do I need to reduce it down.

Thanks

Anth

Hi

We about to tackle the Calder and Hebble for the first time. I have acquired a length of 3x2 hardwood to make a handspike. I've just measured the cross-section and I have found that its an eighth of an inch oversized. Will this matter or do I need to reduce it down.

Thanks

Anth

Does this help?

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/handspike.htm

Hi

Thanks

Anth

Mine's on the boat at the moment and I'm at home so I can't check the actual dimensions, I had acquired a piece of 3x2 because that was the size I had seen quoted in various places but on my way along the Rochdale Canal I was talking to a chap who showed me his (handspike) and it was smaller in cross section. I ended up with something which from memory measures 2 1/2 x 1 3/4 and it fitted fairly snuggly. My piece of 3 x 2 would have been too big.

Edited by journeyperson

Hi

Thanks

Anth

Hi

I used mine yesterday and have it in my hand it measures in English. 3 feet long including handle bit. The working end is like a cricket bat and measures 17 inches long ( not critical ) it is 3 inches wide by 2 inches thick and tapers down to 1 inch from the 2 inches at the bottom. :D

Sorry for the late reply, I lost internet connection for a few hours. Thanks for all the info. It seems that I need to form a handle at one end and reduce the other end down to about 3x1 or 2½x1¾. Is it possible to step the end of the spike so I could use both these sizes?

Thanks

Anth

Sorry for the late reply, I lost internet connection for a few hours. Thanks for all the info. It seems that I need to form a handle at one end and reduce the other end down to about 3x1 or 2½x1¾. Is it possible to step the end of the spike so I could use both these sizes?

Thanks

Anth

The mechanism it fits into is like a capstan on its side and the sockets are quite deep, I would say it is best to taper the last 8 inches of the shaft down from 3 x 2 to 2 1/2 x 1 3/4 for a tight fit. Shaping the rest of the shaft isn't necessary except for a comfortable grip. Something makeshift will do unless you are going to be on that waterway regularly.

Tapering to the given dimensions at the business end makes it easier to withdraw the spike to allow the paddle to drop freely (one of the few places on the system where this is not frowned upon). Some stickier ones don't drop even when given a push from above, and have to be wound down, which is a pain. I'm on my third handspike, having bent one (iron bar) and broken one (softwood), both on Cromwell lock, but was surprised to find it much easier a couple of days ago. Enjoy the C&H - I felt a real sense of homecoming on returning after a summer away darn sarf.

Mac

Tapering to the given dimensions at the business end makes it easier to withdraw the spike to allow the paddle to drop freely (one of the few places on the system where this is not frowned upon). Some stickier ones don't drop even when given a push from above, and have to be wound down, which is a pain. I'm on my third handspike, having bent one (iron bar) and broken one (softwood), both on Cromwell lock, but was surprised to find it much easier a couple of days ago. Enjoy the C&H - I felt a real sense of homecoming on returning after a summer away darn sarf.

Mac

Hi

Have fun at Fall Ings lock.....you dont need ya hand spike on that one just good biceps and a strong back, its a real barsteward...