Pram-hood stern covers

Featured Posts

Hi All,

We're very interested in the idea of getting a pram-hood style stern cover. We need a cover as our aft deck is not self-draining and merely dumps all available rainwater into the bilges, so having a cover is essential.

We currently have a cover which came with the boat. It runs from the end of the superstructure to the end of the boat (as you would expect), but is at the same height as the roof and is annoyingly low. A pram-hood style cover seems better - they are higher and would therefore give us more room.

We've had a look round at some websites that make them, with our particular favourite being listed on:

http://www.boathoodsdirect.co.uk/services.htm

If you take a look at the examples, the pictures in the bottom-left and bottom-right of the "Hoods, Canopies and Covers" section show what we want. The cover doesn't stick up too much above the level of the superstructure and has a nice curved shape.

The problem being that we need to find someone near to us as the places we've found that make covers we like are quite far away and we don't have the time to make a long trip, although it would be very nice.

We moored on the Paddington arm of the Grand Union, and so we're looking for somewhere in the London area that does these type of covers.

So the question is: does anyone have any idea of anyone in the London area that can do this? Or does anyone know of any company that would happily visit us to take measurements and then fit the cover?

If anyone also has any idea of how much something like this might cost, and what the general opinion of pram-hood style covers are, that would also be nice to hear.

Cracko'

I take it you have a cruiser stern, the pram hood are normally fitted to traditional sterns. If you want it to cover the whole deck it will be very cumbersome and I should imagine expensive.

I would also look into having a self draining deck conversion fitted if that is the main issue, it will cost a lot less than the cover.

John Squeers

I agree that water in the bilge shouldn't be a problem as a bilge pump can remove it, but when there is water in the bilge there are two things to do:

1. Pump the water out

2. Put the pumped out water somewhere

The rear bilge and engine compartment are all one happy family and water that gets in mixes with a nice old collection of greasy/diesely/oily fluids and can't just be pumped into the canal.

In getting the water out the bilges, we need to first find a sealed container to put it in and secondly get it into the container.

Without water in the rear bilge there really is much less to do and so water in the bilges is quite a problem.

The decision has been made that a pram-hood stern cover is the best way to go. It will provide a dyer environment for the aft deck and of course the dryer things are the less they will rot or rust or corrode in whatever fashion they choose.

A pram-hood cover would also allow us to get aboard without having to bend over in a silly fashion and would give us plenty of room for drying clothes, storing wood and other things that require some dry area.

Having a self-draining deck fitted certainly is an option, but only prevents water getting into the bilges but doesn't give us the dry storage space we want.

So, any ideas where we can get one in the London area?

The rear bilge and engine compartment are all one happy family

I'm a bit concerned about this statement. The engine bilge should be isolated from the rest of the bilge so that oil, fuel (I hope not), and water leaking from the engine cannot be pumped overboard through the bilge pump. The bilge pump should only be pumping 'clean' water - the small leak through the stern gland, rain water from the deck. The engine bilge needs to be pumped out as you describe (or you get a baotyard to do it - at a price of course).

There are many canopy suppliers out there and I'm sure most of them will travel to get your business. Wilson's travelled from Kinver to Braunston to fit ours and we're really pleased with them.

And I agree, you should be looking to re-arrange the deck covers and provide some overboard drainage. One really heavy downpour could dump a very large quantity of water in your bilge!