Llangollen breach

Rick

Featured Posts

According to BW it is likely to be Easter before the repairs are completed. I haven't seen the breach but was told that a 50 yard section had gone, caused by badgers.

The towpath is shut because there is a weak section on the towpath side they say, which means that it is not possible to see the damage which is on the other side.

There are a number of disappointed people in Whixall who were going for a Christmas cruise. BW are supposed to be approaching land owners in the area to see about getting access to enable them to pump water into the canal to restore the levels having closed the canal at Grindley Brook.

Richard

The Llangollen has a long and venerable history of breaches. All invariably caused by building on the side of the hill and not making allowances for groundwater moving down the slope. The water finds a plane of weakness under the canal, often a clay layer, and uses it to get past the canal. Clay layer plus water creates very slippery layer..... whooosh.

Badgers are the fall-guys yet again. Suprised they haven't blamed the water voles.

• 3 weeks later...

The bank still as it was (aprently) and there still saying it should be done before easter, and the it was badgers (they found three dead in the mud as they where tidying it up a bit)

they have put planks in eather side and are pumping round, which is enought to keep the hurleston reservoir toped up (about 15000gal/hour) and this also keeping to water in whixhal, although it goes up and down by about a foot

i still havent seem the breach myself, we where going to go there today, but it never happend what with one thing and another, if go though i'll try and get some good photos of the hole, etc.

daniel