27th/29th august 2011

Roxy

Featured Posts

As some of you already know, I'm new to boating. Im planning a little trip away from my moorings (Redhill Marina@Ratcliffe) for this coming bank holiday weekend. My 9 yr daughter and I would like to know where to go, dont want to go to far though. Just be nice to wake up to different surroundings. I have work on the Saturday so time wise we will be on the boat and ready to go approx 13.00pm. I will basically be single handed as my daughter is very clumsy and I dont want her jumping on and off the boat at locks. Someone said cruise upto Beeston Marina, but was told by another that I would be wasting my time as theres nothing there and to head towards Zouch.

Please help!

Regards

Rachel

You can't moor at Zouch cut from today for 5 weeks...BW closed the towpath for works :( You may get to moor next to the pub there though on their own mooring...otherwise Normanton? Or even Loughborough, lots there, and lots of us fellow boaters too!

Wherever you go, have a good one! :cheers:

Edited by Ally

You can't moor at Zouch cut from today for 5 weeks...BW closed the towpath for works :( You may get to moor next to the pub there though on their own mooring...otherwise Normanton? Or even Loughborough, lots there, and lots of us fellow boaters too!

Wherever you go, have a good one! :cheers:

Brilliant Ally, how long do you think it would take us to get to Loughborough? Im probably one of those annoying boaters that goes as slow as a snail (apologise in advance) will it be easy to moor up there overnight?

Many Thanks

Rachel

Brilliant Ally, how long do you think it would take us to get to Loughborough? Im probably one of those annoying boaters that goes as slow as a snail (apologise in advance) will it be easy to moor up there overnight?

Many Thanks

Rachel

Redhill to Loughborough , say 8-9 miles at a guess, Ratcliffe, Kegworth Deep , Zouch & the 2 locks at Loughborough.

Depending on Kegworth Deep , around 3hrs.

Personally I would carry on past Loughborough & up to Barrow / Mountsorrell or Sileby. Much Nicer !

agree with the timing....it depends what you want at the end. Yes, Barrow is lovely, but if you want shops/pubs/cinema anything like that, then Loughborough. You will moor ok there, BUT go left at the junction and moor down there with the other boats where the towpath is nice and wide, NOT in the basin or near the Albion....both can be potentially iffy at night. We spend quite a lot of time at Loughborough and find the section I am describing both peacefull, safe and near everything. Room to BBQ if you wish, and space to wander/dog walk/whatever. Lots of friendly folk too. If you get there, look for a red and green tug style 62'-er, all ports...that's me! :cheers:

agree with the timing....it depends what you want at the end. Yes, Barrow is lovely, but if you want shops/pubs/cinema anything like that, then Loughborough. You will moor ok there, BUT go left at the junction and moor down there with the other boats where the towpath is nice and wide, NOT in the basin or near the Albion....both can be potentially iffy at night. We spend quite a lot of time at Loughborough and find the section I am describing both peacefull, safe and near everything. Room to BBQ if you wish, and space to wander/dog walk/whatever. Lots of friendly folk too. If you get there, look for a red and green tug style 62'-er, all ports...that's me! :cheers:

Thankyou Ally and Benfordboy.

Will see you there then Ally, save me a mooring spot! :cheers: If weather ok BBQ sounds nice which your welcome to join us, but I warn you beforehand will only be veggie sausages/burgers on it :lol:

Take care now

Rachel

Thankyou Ally and Benfordboy.

Will see you there then Ally, save me a mooring spot! :cheers: If weather ok BBQ sounds nice which your welcome to join us, but I warn you beforehand will only be veggie sausages/burgers on it :lol:

Take care now

Rachel

ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, a fellow veggie!!! :D

Fellow veggie indeed :P

Ally just another few questions please.....looking at waterexplorer map, I go under the A6004 then turn left? is that correct? if so then where do I go ?? :wacko:

ermm, A6004...if that is belton rd i assume? Go past the Albion pub on your left, then you will see there is a T junction. Turn left just after the albion and moor up anywhere after the bridge, it's all ok there unless you go too far down. Stay between the junction and the tow path 'gate' before the 'Boat' pub, and you'll be fine. Literally, once you've turned at the junction, moor where you can. We are a couple of hundred yards down, and 'old friends' is a bit further down....another forum-ite.

Yes, A6004 is Belton Road. Otherwise, what Ally said.

In mid June this year we moored for one night (a Saturday) outside the Albion, and had no trouble at all, except the Albion weren't serving food on a Saturday night.

I noticed that the Albion has a Car Park. Nothing unusual in that, but there was space in the back wall allowing motor car access to the towpath.

One of the boats already there, whose occupant stepped off in her carpet slippers to take our rope and give advice about eating facilities in that area of Loughborough, said the gearbox was broken. I don't recall whether it was Saturday evening, or Sunday morning, but another family member turned up in a small Ford to carry something to or from the boat.

It struck me that knowing places where land based support services could easily reach your boat is knowledge worth recording in a personal log of 'your area'. Support services could be a friend visiting or leaving, a Grocery delivery (Tesco / Sainsbury, etc) or a mechanic.

Regarding timing, we left Sawley Marina about 2.30pm, I didn't record when we went past Redhill Marina, but arrived at the Albion (Loughborough Junction) around 6.30pm.

I did note that 'any external noise quietened down after 10.00pm'.

So, Redhill to Loughborough Junction should be well within your time scale.

We were not familiar with the area, and stopped because 'it was time', and the Albion sign-age said Real Ale, and Food.

As we went somewhere else for food (and drink), we didn't try the Real Ale, but next morning I did note that 'round the corner' the bank scenery was more upmarket :-)

Just one last point, when making the junction you turn under a brick bridge. Forward visibility is so obviously restricted that slow speed is natural. It looks worse than it is.

HTH

Edited by Davidss

The bit where we are is very convenient. an easy walk to 3 supermarkets, B&Q, a garage, and there is a gas supllier (who will lend a trolley) about a 2 min walk if that away.

The Albion used to be a right good real ale pub, but the last couple of times we've been, the ale has been very poor. He only does food at lunchtime, and tends to keep the 'old' licencing hours. If anyone can get a decent conversation out of him, I'll buy them their beer!!!!! (There is a weatherspoons close with draught Abbot at £2.20 ish a pint!!! or the Swan in the Rushes always has good beer)

Roxy

I know we are seasoned Soar Cruisers (Been doing it since a lad in the 70's) ! We can make Trent Lock (Soar junction with Trent) from Syston in around 6.5 hrs , but we can lock wheel faster than most !

I know you are a 'newbie' (After pulling yr dog & friend out of the cut in consecutive wks !)

But.... Take the plunge & travel as far as you can - We will be heading towards Boston Lincs over the BH week , look out for a old Norman Cruiser 'Guinervere' we should be around Kegworth / trent lock on the 27th

Its all good , if you fancy a trip the other way (Towards Notts) let me know & we can meet up & lock together , the missus could do with a hand........ (Oops she's seen me type this !)

Can't give you any advice on where to go or moor when you get there in that neck of the cut Rachel.

But enjoy your weekend and more importantly, don't worry mistakes getting things wrong or going to slow.

We all started some where and if we are all honest still get things wrong.

One word of warning though it's the number one rule on the cut do something perfect and there won't be a sole around to see, get it badly wrong and there will be at least 20 people watching lol :cheers:

One word of warning though it's the number one rule on the cut do something perfect and there won't be a sole around to see, get it badly wrong and there will be at least 20 people watching lol :cheers:

Yep - Usually at Mountsorrel lock by the pub ! - Always a crowd to see you get it wrong - I normally single hand thru here while Gert (Local Leics name for wife) hides in the cabin !