help finding a family friendly canal boat week end destination

doucefrance

Featured Posts

hi, I am new on this forum and hope there are good people who can help me. I am looking to organise a surprise week end away for my other half birthday in October. will be the 2 of us and 2 youngish kids for sure (7 and 5) , perhaps a few more people (ie grand parents). Where is good value for money, family friendly for a first timer long week end canal boating? all feedback appreciated.

This is somewhat of a wildcard, but what about a long weekend on the River Wey - perfect for a 3 day adventure and very picturesque. Guildford Boat House or Farncombe would be the place to hire a boat.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Not too far to travel for you, and the River Wey is well worth a visit. You have two bases to choose from, Farncombe Boathouse or Guildford Boathouse.

Let us know where you eventually choose, and how it goes.

Jo.

RichardH here was fantastic when we hired one of his boats on the Leeds & Liverpool.

It's a beautiful waterway with loads of great pubs and good villages & towns along the way. There are the usual urban grotspots like Burnley and Blackburn town centres, par for the course for urban waterways these days, but with careful planning they can all be avoided and you can have a wonderful cruise in some of the best scenery you're ever likely to see, and from a very accessible base.

I have to agree with Minos...the Leeds & Liverpool is absolutely fantastic...mind you, I'm a bit biased as it's my local canal! The stretch from Greenberfield Locks, through to Gargrave and then onto Bank Newton and Skipton is one of the nicest stretches of canal anywhere...you can't beat God's own country...not too many locks, but you do have swing bridges to contend with....great fun to see how many cars you can stop!

Janet

Edited by Janet S
  • Greenie 1