Where to moor at Cropredy for a week?

DickBrowne

Featured Posts

Here we are, happily bobbing about on the Oxford, Pinmill behaving herself and even the dog's only fallen in once.

We're in the fortunate position of having a week on our own, Mrs. B and I, as B. Junior is off with the Guides for a week. The plan was (still is!) to toddle off to Braunston (check), turn left (check) and pootle along the Oxford for a few days, see where we got to, park the boat for a week and return home (lift already arranged), then get a lift back next Saturday and turn the boat around and wander home in a relaxed manner over a week or so.

It looks (looked) like a sensible place to stop would be Cropredy - far enough away from Banbury that it should be safe (not that I think there's anything wrong with Banbury, but any urban conurbation will have a percentage of herberts), plenty of other boats which should increase security, a nice place to be for our remaining couple of days aboard alone and easy for my Dad to get to in order to collect us. Then we remembered the festival...

So, the question is this - what's the best place to moor? Needs to be near a road bridge to allow for easy collection and despatch, secure, and not in the way of people who want to moor for the festival.

Any recommendation, anyone?

Cheers

Richard

There are some 14 day moorings above the lock, not too far from the road. During Festival season the nearest moorings are about 1/2 to 3/4 mile either side of Cropredy. There are some 14 day moorings at Fenny Compton but the road is a little way off.

..........and easy for my Dad to get to in order to collect us. Then we remembered the festival...

So, the question is this - what's the best place to moor? Needs to be near a road bridge to allow for easy collection and despatch, secure, and not in the way of people who want to moor for the festival.

Any recommendation, anyone?

Cheers

Richard

If it's two weeks either side of the festival, the simple answer is - not Cropredy. Unless you've been there, you cannot comprehend how busy it gets.

The last time we were in that neck of the woods (about 2 years ago) around festival time the we moored just below the first of the claydon locks (going North from Cropredy. There is a good length of armco nearest the lock (not the lock landing, btw), if that matters to you, and the rest of that 'straight' (upto a winding hole/corner, as I recall) is OK to moor up on pins. Then if you walk up the locks 5 mins there is a small road from Claydon that passes over the canal, with a small parking area to one side. We have also left our boat there for a week on a separate (non-festival) occassion with no problems.

It is about 30-35 mins walk down the tow path into Cropredy.

Callum

There is a good length of armco nearest the lock (not the lock landing, btw),

That piece of Armco also has mooring rings, so you won't need pins. As usual they're exactly the wrong spacing for a 40' boat!

just re-read previous post - I was referring to the piece by Claydon top - under the bridge and just round the corner from the lock.

Edited by Chalky

Hum, I had forgotten about the festival too.

We are planing to head down the Oxford from the Napton area probably starting on the 19th, so going through Cropredy on the 20th I guess. Do you think that will still be an issue by then. I guess we don't need to actually stop there, and can head for Banbury for the night.

My alternative plan was to move the boat the first section down the Oxford the weekend before, ie the festival weekend, so if we did that would the advice to be to go no further south than Fenny Compton that weekend?

There's usually lots of traffic before and during the festival weekend. Sunday afternoon and monday morning when the festival's finished are especially busy with long waits at locks. We've been through Cropredy several times during the festival and although it's busy you will find a mooring, just not near Cropredy. Main hazard is usually enthusiastic helpers at the locks who are a bit worse for wear. :cheers:

A week before the 14 day moorings start to fill up - at least when we've been through. Graham on Alnwick's the best for advice, he's moored there - we're at Fenny Compton.

Thanks for the replies everyone - I saw Alnwick, and was very dissapointed that he wasn't in. We're going back past this afternoon, so maybe I'll have better luck then?

So, the situation is this; we cugged through Cropredy pretty much on tickover (whichi very slow indeed on Pinmill) and the only mooring spot we found was on top of a wasp nest, so we didn't bother with that. A mile past the village we came to some pilings in a nice spot, next to a bridge, ner a farm and thought we may ask the farmer if he would mind if our transport used his track to pick us up. Then I had a brainwave.

Pinmill needs blacking this year, the places near to us are ridiculously expensive, and I haven't booked anything. A mile or so North of Cropredy is Cropredy Boatyard. I phoned them this morning and guess what? Their slip is free next week and they would be happy to black the boat for us whilst we return home for work and small child collection. We can be collected from their yard, they will happily look after the boat for the duration and it's all a sensible price. Win-win, I think!

Proves that there is a God of boating, and he does smile down on us all at some point.

Now, I wonder if I can get the prop changed at the same time?

Thanks for all the advice

Richard

Oh well done! It's brilliant when things work out that way!

We had similar problems last week on the Oxford, our domestic alternator failed and the following day my partners father was rushed to hospital. We were fortunate to be near a boatyard and they are now fixing the boat and taking care of her while we attend to more important matters.