fabricating a diesel tank

Featured Posts

BSS seems unclear about the grade of pipe that can be used for the filler and the vent lines. Your interpretation would be useful, if it can be confirmed. Can I ask, where does your interpretation come from?

I sat, painfully, on the BSS Committee that devised the first set of rules. It was agreed then that permanently full flexible hoses needed to be ISO 7840, temporarily full ones neeeded to be suitable for use with the fuel concerned (and I probably still have the relevant minutes somewhere). BW's opening position was that all flexy fuel hoses anywhere had to be to ISO and it took some effort to convince the BSS Manager of the time otherwise.

So if it is just a fill or vent line you can use anything suitable (if its not suitable it will deteriorate...) but if it is effectively part of the storage tank then it should be ISO.

A specific Examiners interpretation of the rules may vary of course, and the latest set are open to some interpretation.

Ideally one would do it all in ISO hose, but 50mm ISO hose isn't very flexible and may kink in the situation described by the OP, so something suitable for diesel will be acceptable.

N

I sat, painfully, on the BSS Committee that devised the first set of rules. It was agreed then that permanently full flexible hoses needed to be ISO 7840, temporarily full ones neeeded to be suitable for use with the fuel concerned (and I probably still have the relevant minutes somewhere). BW's opening position was that all flexy fuel hoses anywhere had to be to ISO and it took some effort to convince the BSS Manager of the time otherwise.

So if it is just a fill or vent line you can use anything suitable (if its not suitable it will deteriorate...) but if it is effectively part of the storage tank then it should be ISO.

A specific Examiners interpretation of the rules may vary of course, and the latest set are open to some interpretation.

Ideally one would do it all in ISO hose, but 50mm ISO hose isn't very flexible and may kink in the situation described by the OP, so something suitable for diesel will be acceptable.

N

many thanks.

I hope my examiner is equally well informed when the time comes.

The breather should prevent siphoning.

Nope. If the fuel line to, say, the injector pump, which must be full of fuel or the engine won't start, develops a leak below the level of the fuel in the tank then the fuel will siphon up the pipe, over the top of the tank and out of the leaking point. The breather will merely let in air so that the fuel can get out.

If you close the breather the siphon will (eventually) stop, depending on how much air is in the tank and assuming that the breather is the only air inlet.

N