diesel heating to fit a seperate tank or not

Justin

Featured Posts

I will soon be on to fitting an diesel heater shall i fit an extra diesel tank or shall i tee off the existing supply?

Thoughts and opinions greatly received. If i do go for an extra tank what do i need to know i could do with one made to measure, who makes such a thing!!

Guest Sweeney

I've been having the same thoughts. I've decided not to bother due to the extra cost and possible complications with filling, venting, supply etc. I know there is a potential to save money but I really can't decide if it's worth it.

When in doubt, do nowt. The situation will then develop further and a decision, one way or the other becomes easier.

Or is that idleness ??

Regards,

Sweeney

Guest Sweeney

I think it's probably an academic question because I can't see the diesel suppliers maintaining a red diesel system just to top up heating tanks. (assuming it is allowed) They will switch their systems to the diesel engine fuel that we legally have to use.

I suspect that we'll end up using domestic heating oil, but I don't know what the actual situation is.

How sad that Gordon Brown allows the EU to affect our tax system when he profits from it but not when he stands to lose tax. Sorry, politics. Smack !!

Regards,

Sweeney

A separate tank may be the right answer because you can ensure that you use the right grade of diesel as fuel. Eberspacher have said - in response to many complaints about their boilers - that red diesel is not of the right quality. Whether that is true or not I couldn't say but, with a separate tank, you could fill it with heating oil rather than gas oil.

Guest Sweeney

Can I ask anybody using diesel for heating what their consumption is ? This will help in estimating the number of journeys with cans. Next boat to my brother has just converted a coal back boilered squirrel to diesel with a bubble unit and burns 10 galls a week. They live aboard and are in most days. Is this typical ?

Regards,

Sweeney

In true Blue Peter fashion "Here's one we made earlier"

Tank.jpg

Well actually last week it's going to fit on the front deck partially in the seat lockers.

We have done quite a few of these recently and now fit split tanks on all larger boats.

Gary

:o

I like it, what would it cost?

If you are going to use a single tank to feed both the engine and heating, don't forget that the outlet for the heating should be above the outlet for the engine - that way, if you run out of heating diesel, you will still have enough to get you to a boatyard to fill up!

• 1 month later...

Martin

A very good point obvious when you think about it, I would never have thought that one out.

By the way I am planning to fit a 100gallon tank to run a Beta engine / Domestic boiler / Whisper Generator. I considered having the tank built with two seperate compartments but have decided not to. I think it will be extremmly difficult to enforce "red diesel" only for heating and will cross that bridge if and when it happens

Cheers

TC