new build

Featured Posts

hi all,i am looking to buy a 50 foot shell to fit out as an extended holiday boat and for possible later retirement.i would really like to use a more traditional engine like a 3 pot lister is an air cooled or water cooled better,or am i being to nostalgic and should really go for a modern diesel engine,its just i love the sound of the old listers.any comments welcome especially from those that have had both.cheers Neil

hi all,i am looking to buy a 50 foot shell to fit out as an extended holiday boat and for possible later retirement.i would really like to use a more traditional engine like a 3 pot lister is an air cooled or water cooled better,or am i being to nostalgic and should really go for a modern diesel engine,its just i love the sound of the old listers.any comments welcome especially from those that have had both.cheers Neil

Lister engines are generally very good and reliable engines, I've had a working barge with a JP-4-M, a water-cooled 4 cylinder that always gave me excellent service, and I still have an HA-3 air-cooled 3 cylinder that I used to drive a generator with, very good engine too.

The only thing I can say is that the air-cooled engine makes a lot more noise if running fast (1500/1800n)

Success with your project,

Peter.

If it was me,i would go for a twin pot water cooled lister,and if you have the space,put it in an engine room.You wont regret it.

Hope it all goes well.

Regards.

Twinpot.

Hi twinpot,

I'm sure you've got a twinpot yourself too, is that a Lister or something even more famous ?

Peter.

Hello Bargemast.

Its a Lister HW2,never misses a beat,and being in a engine room i can give it a cuddle at the end of the day. :wub:

If you continue like like (the cuddle) it will never let you down, all they need is love (and some t.c.)

Peter.

Lister twins sound better although JP2's are becoming rare & very expensive. Have a look at this Indian Lister CS2 based offering from Tony Redshaw

Edited by richardhula

Lister twins sound better although JP2's are becoming rare & very expensive. Have a look at this Indian Lister CS2 based offering from Tony Redshaw

After having spend some time in Tony Redshaw's workshop (the engines, not me) I think that you can trust them running properly.

When they arrive from China, they are very rough, so they're taken apart cleaned inside and after a proper rebuilding, test run, and sold.

There's a big difference in price between China and Tony Redshaw, but for the peace of mind and the warranty it's worth it.

Nice engines, I say.

Peter.